Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
San Luis Potosi is the capital and the most populous city of the Mexican state of San Luis Potosi.
It’s an old colonial city with an orderly industrial center and university seat.
The city lies at an elevation of 1,864 meters.
Now, the city is one of the main industrial centers in central Mexico with a prolific manufacturing industry.
In 2010, the historic center was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site within Camino Real de Tierra Adentro.
Tourists come here to enjoy manicured parks, colonial architecture, visit an impressive theater and excellent museums.
Warnings & Dangers in San Luis Potosi
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
San Luis Potosi aims to attract tourists, so serious crimes are rare here. There are almost no showdowns of drug gangs in the city, but minor robberies and violations are possible. Be cautioned in crowded places and public transportation.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Public transport can be safe if you do not use it late at night and do not ride on crowded buses. Taxis are safe enough, do not catch them on the streets, use a licensed service.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of pickpocketing is high enough here. The city is touristy, and travelers are a target for petty crimes. You should do not leave valuables unattended and keep especially important documents and things in the hotel safe.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
The area is liable to landslides and droughts. Check specialized sources for those risks before your trip.
MUGGING RISK : HIGH
Mugging risk is high in this area. Since police corrupt, travelers can't feel safe for their belongings. You need to take high-security measures to protect your life and belongings.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
The risk of a terrorist attack is not so high but as usual in Mexico, you should be prepared for anything. Tourists or locals rarely find themselves in a conflict zone.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
In San Luis Potosi you can meet scams with travel entry fees in popular sight. Make sure you buy tickets in a licensed place.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling alone should take precautions. It is safe enough if you use your car and do not appear on the street after sunset.
So... How Safe Is San Luis Potosi Really?
Cartel violence and highway lawlessness are continuing security concerns.
But travelers will be fine visiting tourist sites in the capital during the daytime.
Strongly recommended keeping away from bars and nightclubs when visiting San Luis Potosi.
Especially ones on the outskirts of town or in dubious barrios.
Violent confrontations and kidnappings are still occurring here.
Travelers will be safe if they do not leave their hotel after 10 pm.
Do not go walking around town at night alone.
The crime rate has increased in recent years, the possibility of being robbed on the street or in public transport is high.
The police are corrupt.
Therefore, precautions must be taken, especially in crowded places.
It is a good idea to have insurance on your property, especially cars and valuables.
There is a risk of being robbed while withdrawing money from ATM, so travelers are advised to withdraw money only in checked and protected places.
The city is developing in the direction of tourism, so serious skirmishes of gangs are rare here.
However, you should always be alert.
As a first step in planning any trip abroad, check the Travel Advisories of US Government site for your intended destination.
How Does San Luis Potosi Compare?
|San Luis Potosi||80|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best time to visit San Luis Potosi is from January to May and September to December. The temperature is pleasant these months and isn't lots of rain.
- Airports - San Luis Potosi has a Ponciano Arriaga International Airport located just 17 km from the city center. It handles national and international air traffic for the city of San Luis Potosi.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
San Luis Potosi Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|