Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Mexico City
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
Playa del Carmen is a coastal resort town in Mexico. It is a perfect place which offers tourists a relaxed holiday.
Tourists are attracted by adventure parks like Xcaret, Xplor and Xel ha, beach clubs and perfect beaches. For those who are interested in shopping, there are various designer shops and luxury items can be found there.
One of the attractions is playful spider monkeys at The Jungle Place sanctuary. Playa del Carmen has experienced extreme development nowadays and new luxury buildings, restaurants and boutiques were built, so as to meet tourists’ needs.
Warnings & Dangers in Playa del Carmen
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Playa del Carmen is a safe place, but that should never be taken for granted. Tourists tend to be fully protected, since tourism is the main source of economy. They need to be aware that they can easily become victims of express kidnappings, and people who are traveling on the metro and public transport might become targets of thieves.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Plaza Del Carmen is not so huge, and you can walk to the most visited parts of it, but sometimes you may have to use public transportation or a taxi. A taxi has no meters and the prices vary. If you decide to drive, be aware that traffic signs are not respected. Crime levels on buses and on highways are high, particularly after dark.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
When it comes to less serious crimes, pickpocketing is the most common. The only way to protect yourself is to watch for your belongings and be aware of your surrounding, since thieves often work in cooperation with taxi drivers. Travelers should never use taxis hailed from the street.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Besides the hurricane season which lasts from June to November, Playa del Carmen is prone to flooding and earthquakes. Severe weather and tsunamis, as well as several active volcanoes are all possible natural disasters.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Unlike pickpocketing, kidnapping and mugging is very rare. The instances of express kidnappings were reported and victims were forced to withdraw money from ATMs. Tourists are the least attacked, but they need to remain careful.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
When it comes to the terrorism threat, Playa del Carmen is a safe city and the possibility of attack is low.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
There is a high risk of drink spiking, so never leave your food or drink unattended. You should not reveal your personal information. Credit card fraud is very frequent, so watch your surrounding when withdrawing money from ATMs, or use ATMs that are inside a bank.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling on public transport should be particularly vigilant, but overall, Playa del Carmen is not dangerous for solo women. There have been some reports of sexual harassment in bars and nightclubs.
So... How Safe Is Playa del Carmen Really?
The sunshine that lasts almost all year round is attractive to people all over the world. Beautiful sandy beaches and turquoise blue sea are a paradise on the Earth. Even though, it has not such perfect beaches as some other destinations, Playa del Carmen is developing rapidly and thus attracts even more tourists.
The Mayan Rivera is considered a safe area and Playa Del Carmen generally is considered a safe place, compared to other tourist destinations. Like in any other tourist place, there are things to watch out for. Pickpockets operate on beaches and your possessions should not be left unattended while in water.
If you are a tourist who has all inclusive booked holiday, then you will not be affected by the crime and your vacation is considered extremely safe. Do not let anyone discourage you from coming and experiencing a perfect vacation in Playa Del Carmen, since it is for sure worth visiting.
- Visas - A visa is not obligatory if you come to Mexico as a tourist and stay less than 180 days. Still, you need to make sure your passport is stamped by Mexican immigration officials on arrival. You might need to complete the FMM in advance online or on arrival in Mexico, since all visitors to Mexico will be issued a traveler’s permit upon arrival.
- Currency - The Mexican Peso is the official currency in Playa del Carmen. Mexico is not too expensive, but luxurious resorts are not so cheap. The USD is widely accepted while Australian currency and travelers cheques are generally not accepted for exchange. ATMs can be found everywhere.
- Weather - Playa del Carmen is the place which is most frequently visited during the peak season. It has a tropical climate, with the hot weather all year round and dry season from November to February. However, it can be rainy from June to October. From August to October, there is a risk of Hurricanes in Playa del Carmen.
- Airports - When coming to Playa del Carmen by plane, you can use any of the main international airports in Mexico City, Cancun, Guadalajara, Monterrey and Tijuana. However, the nearest one is the Cancún International Airport, which also has the cheapest flights.
- Travel Insurance - It is very important to possess a travel insurance policy when coming to Playa del Carmen and if you happen to ride a motorbike, it is obligatory that your policy covers you when using a motorcycle in case an accident occurs while using it.
Playa del Carmen Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|