Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Zapopan is a city and municipality located in the Mexican state of Jalisco.
The city is best known as being the home of the Virgin of Zapopan, an image of the Virgin Mary which was made in the 16th century.
This image has been credited with a number of miracles and has been recognized by popes and even visited by Pope John Paul II.
Tourists come here to see important religious points, museums, the largest show centers in Jalisco and so on.
Travelers also come here to join The Zapopum Festival – a major cultural event for the city.
It aims to spread culture and bring it to the public other types of shows.
The event has attracted as many as 800,000 people in past years.
Warnings & Dangers in Zapopan
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In general, the city is not so safe. Crimes are very spread in this area. You should take high-level precautions to protect yourself.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Take a taxi are more preferable than public transportation. Taxi is safe when you sure to negotiate the price before starting a trip.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
Criminals work in tourist places. Often some people can distract the traveler to chat with them, and at this time another one could rob you. In crowd and tourist areas it's necessary to keep an eye on your belongings.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
There is no natural hazard in this region. But Mexico is prone to earthquakes, hurricanes and active volcanoes so travelers should be informed about it when traveling to this country.
MUGGING RISK : HIGH
Robberies, kidnappings, and car thefts are the main problems in Zapopan. You must securely store your valuables and have insurance on the car. Especially beware of walking outside at night.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
In Zapopan, there are usually no showdowns of drug cartels, so the risk of terrorism is low here. However, you should always study the situation in the region before visiting it.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
There are many tourists in the city and criminals are operating in places of their congestion, as well as at festivals. They may try to sell you a fake ticket or simply engage in extortion.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
A female, traveling alone, can feel safe in the city is they do not show up on the streets at late night and wear modest clothes. Also, it's better to avoid bars and nightclubs.
So... How Safe Is Zapopan Really?
Zapopan is not the safest city in Mexico.
As usual, in Mexico, you should be on the lookout and check the local news bulletins before your trip to Zapopan.
The level of crime increased greatly in the last three years.
Most crimes come from home robbery, things stolen, and street mugging.
Every traveler here should take more than the usual precautions measures.
The most common crime against tourists is purse snatching and pickpocketing.
In crowd and tourist areas it’s necessary to keep an eye on your belongings.
Often some people can distract the traveler to chat with them, and at this time another one could rob you.
So, just be alert and take precautions.
In the city, usually, there is no showdown of drug cartels.
The police work well and if something happens, you can ask for help.
Female traveling alone can be safe here if they provide a common sense of safety.
Getting around is safer by taxi or rented car.
Especially if you ride at night. But try to avoid nighttime rides cause it can be unsafe for you.
Check the safety information on official sources for visiting the city before your trip to Zapopan.
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best time to visit Zapopan is from October to April. The average temperatures in Zapopan vary little and feel nice most of the year.
- Airports - The nearest airport to Zapopan is located in Guadalajara, it's Guadalajara International Airport. It is located 23 km from Zapopan.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
Zapopan Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|