Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Durango City is the capital and largest city of the Mexican state of Durango.
The city, which is located in Northern Mexico.
The city’s official name is Victoria de Durango.
The city is located in the Valley of Guadiana.
Durango is one of Mexico’s most isolated cities because of deserts around.
The city is also known as filming location for many popular Western movies.
Durango declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Tourists come here to see incredible nature and to visit the Tecuan ecological park.
Warnings & Dangers in Durango
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
The level of crime in Durango is not so high. Sometimes crimes with cartels may appear in the city. But mostly it affects only local citizens.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Taxis are a convenient way to get to the city center and other landmarks. It has taximeters. Travelers can get around Durango using city buses as well.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
The city is not a famous tourist destination so there are not many pickpockets crimes here. But the small risk always exists and travelers should be cautious.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Durango has a medium risk of earthquakes and floods from rains. Before planning a trip to here travelers should get information about the situation with natural hazard risks.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Durango's travelers can become a victim of a robbery in the case they are showing up with their luxury belongings or by keeping them in unsafe places. Avoid this and be careful on the streets.
TERRORISM RISK : HIGH
Because of cartels showdown, the city is not considered safe in terms of terror. The risk of getting into trouble is high enough.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Scam risk is low here cause the place hasn't many tourists. But travelers should be aware anyway and buy things at verified places to avoid cheating.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
For lonely women travelers, it's suggested avoid to drink alone and hitchhiking. Wearing clothes that do not show many parts of the body is also a good idea here.
So... How Safe Is Durango Really?
Durango had a bad reputation as a drug dealer city in the past.
Violent crime and gang activity are common in parts of Durango state.
But it doesn’t apply for Durango city as much.
Most people had bad times with violence right on the streets and not showing up outdoor after sunset.
The U.S. State Department recommends not to travel to the state of Durango because of cartel violence.
Travelers here should exercise extreme caution.
Durango’s traffic on highways may be very aggressive.
And definitely travelers should avoid casinos as they are treated as especially dangerous.
However, things are improving in recent years.
The crime score for the city is low compared to other Mexico’s cities.
The place is safe for walking daylight and at night someway.
It is important to note that the violence in Durango hardly ever targets tourists, it means that tourists won’t the target for crime.
For women travelers suggested avoid to drink alone and hitchhiking.
Getting around by taxi and bus lines are safe and comfortable enough.
For tourists recommended don’t show off that you have a lot of money, keep belongings at a safe place and don’t visit dangerous places at night.
How Does Durango Compare?
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Belize City (Belize)||37|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The average temperatures in Durango vary a little. With humidity, temperatures feel nice most of the year. The best times for visiting Durango is from February to the end of May or October to December 25th.
- Airports - Durango has one airport - General Guadalupe Victoria International Airport is also known as Durango International Airport. It is located 17 km from the city. The airport serves domestic and international flights.
- Travel Insurance - The medical insurance is recommended for travelers before the trip beginning. As well as in other countries, the customs officer can ask you to show travel insurance.
Durango Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|