Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Cuernavaca is the capital and largest city of the state of Morelos in Mexico.
The city is located around 86 km from Mexico City.
The name “Cuernavaca” means “surrounded by trees”.
Cuernavaca is known as the city of the eternal spring because of its warm weather that lasts almost all year.
For those who looking for an adventure, Cuernavaca will be a nice experience.
It has a great number of mountains, volcanoes, prairies, and rivers, where travelers can practice mountain climbing, caving, and rafting.
Warnings & Dangers in Cuernavaca
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
The level of crime and violence is high in Cuernavaca. But it concerns only local bands and citizens. However, you should be more alert than usual here and not get too much attention in your behavior or clothes.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Buses cover most of the city and surrounding areas and not costs much. These are not very comfortable but are enough safe and regularly used by the many foreign language students in the city. Taxi services safer if you take it from a smartphone application or from your hotel.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Tourists should be aware of caution every time they go outside. In crowds, markets or on public transportation you can fall victim to pickpockets. They can be very crafty and sometimes work in pairs.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : HIGH
Cuernavaca located in one of the world’s most seismologically active regions. The risk of earthquakes is permanently high here. Before planning a trip to here travelers should get information about the situation with natural hazard risks.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
In Mexico, it is easy enough to become a victim of a robbery. In the Cuernavaca area, it is safe enough cause it's not so popular tourist place.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Due to drug dealer crimes, terrorism risk exists in that region. Most of the terrorist attacks don't affect tourists and covered by police asap but may affect citizens as well.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Scam risk is low here cause the place doesn't get many tourists. But travelers should be aware anyway and buy things at verified places to avoid cheating.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
In Cuernavaca women with “European” features could attract excessive attention. It's recommended to women not to show up on the streets at night and has modest clothes.
So... How Safe Is Cuernavaca Really?
Cuernavaca is considered a not so safe place.
The index of crime is as high as and the possibility of being mugged.
But here mostly no problems with safety on the streets, except perhaps after dark.
For women as usual in Mexico is recommended not to wear jewelry and look alert and humble and be kind.
Most problems here are with local gang issues and corruption.
And it doesn’t affect tourists and students, who are a lot in this city.
Cuernavaca has a lot of international students who come to study Spanish.
Cuernavaca once had hundreds of foreign students studying Spanish in its numerous excellent language schools.
The descent in enrollments is due to violence in the country as a whole.
But the schools have high security and their administrations insist that they are safe and their students not victims of violence.
So the city has protected by the police and ordinary peoples are not affected by a showdown of bands.
Petty crime is common, but pickpockets and purse-snatchers are not as many as in other touristic places, even as in Europe.
Travelers must follow the State Department’s guidelines for precautions in areas of criminal incidents and keep valuable belongings in a safe place or not show it on the streets.
How Does Cuernavaca Compare?
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Hong Kong (China)||70|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay of other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - Cuernavaca was nicknamed "City of Eternal Spring" because of fairly constant temperature during a year. The average temperatures in Cuernavaca vary little. Most of the year the city has a nice temperature. A comfortable temperature is from March to May. The dry season is in December, January and March.
- Airports - Cuernavaca has an International Airport - General Mariano Matamoros International Airport. It located sixteen kilometers from Cuernavaca. Serves local and international flights of Cuernavaca.
- Travel Insurance - The medical insurance for travelers should be prepared before starting your trip to Mexico. As well as in other countries, the customs officer can ask you to show travel insurance.
Cuernavaca Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|