Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Puerto Morelos is a town in Quintana Roo on the Yucatán Peninsula, about 20 km south of Cancún.
It is a fishing village, and a resort and diving destination.
The pier in the center of town hosts snorkel and sport fishing boats while yachts dock in a man-made harbor just south of town.
It’s an ideal location for a quiet beach vacation with ample tourist amenities.
The town has just two principal streets and you can walk from one end to the other in about 15 minutes.
Most places accept US dollars but not credit cards.
Tourists come here to spend time in natural beauty without all-inclusive proposals and quiet countryside life.
Warnings & Dangers in Puerto Morelos
OVERALL RISK : LOW
In general, the Puerto Morelos area is quite safe. Police and government protect tourism in this region and contribute to its security. You should be afraid of the sudden showdowns of gangs and be careful with your values.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Using taxis and buses in Puerto Morelos is quite safe. Be sure to take only certified services. Negotiate the price of a taxi before sat in the car. In public transport, be careful, there is a risk of pickpocketing.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Due to the fact that the area is quite a tourist, the risk of pickpocketing is high. You must carefully monitor your belongings, do not leave valuables unattended and keep especially important documents and things in the hotel safe.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of flooding, earthquakes, or hurricanes is high enough in the Puerto Morelos area. It is necessary to check the news sources about this risk before visiting the city.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of robbery can be high for travelers who keep large amounts of money with them. You must keep your valuables in a safe at the hotel. In public transport or in public stores, it is easy to become a victim of a robbery. Park your car only in protected parking.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
There is a minimal risk of terrorism in Puerto Morelos. The city area quite protected from terrorist interests and safety.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
There is little risk of fraud with tours and entrance fees for various entertainment. Be sure to buy them from trusted sources.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women travel alone through Puerto Morelos in daylight is absolutely safe. You should be aware in the night time and concern the normal level of caution.
So... How Safe Is Puerto Morelos Really?
Most of the Yucatan is very safe in general, and the Mexican government tries very hard to protect the tourism industry.
Puerto Morelos is no exception–it’s very safe. You’ll feel comfortable walking its streets at any time of day or night.
Be aware, the risk of petty theft does exist here, as it does nearly everywhere.
Travelers should be watchful, do not to leave their valuables unattended without fear of them getting snatched.
Normal use of common-sense principle here is the way to avoid troubles.
Tourists feel safe enough here, they even rent bicycles to go cycling around the area.
You will not feel dangerous here if you take the usual precautions.
Not to wander around the clubs at night, not to get drunk and not to shine with large sums of money – it is enough not to become a victim of a crime.
Women traveling alone may also feel protected; police work hard in the Puerto Morelos region.
Sometimes on the streets, there may be gunfights involving drug gangs.
They have rarely targeted do harm to tourists. But you need to be alert.
Check U.S. state department travel advisories for actual information about the situation in Puerto Morelos before your trip.
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - Average temperatures are always high. The rainy season lasts from May to October. The best time to visit Puerto Morelos is from the end of November to April.
- Airports - The easiest way to get to Puerto Morelos is from Cancun Airport, it is located 25 km from the city. Also, get into the city is possible from Cozumel Airport, getting then by water.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
Puerto Morelos Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|