Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Saltillo is a large and fast-growing place with a center that maintains a relaxed small-town feel. It’s one of the oldest cities in this area.
Travelers come here to see colonial buildings, famous art galleries, and museums.
Nowadays Saltillo is a government center, a college town, and a manufacturing city with big factories outside the city.
Attractions in Saltillo that you’ll be interested to see are Saltillo Cathedral, built in the mid 18th century, Museum of the Desert for exploring an aspect of desert life and to watch enormous T-Rex skeleton, Vito Alessio Cultural Center with free entrance and so on.
Warnings & Dangers in Saltillo
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In general, Saltillo is quite safe, but like everywhere in the north of Mexico, the likelihood of shootings or crimes is present. Observe increased security measures and familiarize yourself with the situation in the city before traveling here.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Public transport is quite safe here. But keep an eye on your belongings. Taxis are only safe if you order a licensed car.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
The risk of pickpocketing is not so high here. But the city is touristy, and travelers are a target for petty crimes. You should do not leave valuables unattended and keep especially important documents and things in the hotel safe.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
In the city, it is possible to suffer from forest fires or earthquakes, but the risk of these events is quite low.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
House robberies, hijacking, and theft are quite common in the city. You need to take high-security measures to protect your life and belongings.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
The risk of a terrorist attack is not so high but as usual in Mexico, you should be prepared for anything. Tourists or locals rarely find themselves in a conflict zone.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of fraud is not so high at Saltillo. You need to keep an eye on your things, especially in crowded places. High probability of scamming in ATM and with taxis rates.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Female-traveler alone is not totally safe. But it is quite possible if you observe caution. Do not appear in bars at night and wear modest clothes.
So... How Safe Is Saltillo Really?
Located in the Coahuila region, Northern Mexico, Saltillo has a medium level of crime.
Occasional violence occurs here, but gunfights out and gangs showdowns are a rare thing.
From time to time there is a military presence in the city.
It happens when a criminal comes out of prison or gang showdown intensifies.
At this time, it is necessary to comply with restrictions, such as curfews, stop at militarized security checkpoints, and assist the police.
But most of the time, the city is still safe, and you can enjoy walking there if you follow basic safety rules.
Be sure to have the car insurance, if you move on it, and keep your valuables in a safe place.
The risk of robbery in the streets is quite high. The police in the city are quite corrupt, so be on the lookout.
Avoid being out alone at night, do not visit bars, casinos, bad neighborhoods.
Do not travel alone if possible, even in the daytime. Don’t drive unless you are accustomed to Mexican driving, roads.
It can be tricky.
For women traveling alone, it can be quite difficult to sort out a difficult situation.
But it is quite possible if you observe caution.
Do not appear in bars at night and wear modest clothes.
How Does Saltillo Compare?
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Hong Kong (China)||70|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best times to visit Saltillo for ideal weather are from February May or from September to December. The average temperatures in Saltillo vary greatly. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The chance of rain or snow throughout the year is small.
- Airports - Saltillo has an International Airport - Plan de Guadalupe International Airport located 14 km from the city. It serves the metropolitan area of Saltillo–Ramos Arizpe, also served by nearby Monterrey's.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
Saltillo Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|