Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Ixtapa has transformed into a world-class resort city with its stunning beach.
Tourists here come to enjoy its waters, perfect sunny weather, and historical sites.
If you do not have any idea on what to do when coming to Ixtapa, we suggest that Delfiniti should be on your list of places to visit.
Those interested in history should go to the Mayan Ruins of Xihuacan Museum and Archaeological Site.
There are also some luxurious activities that can be done here, so you can go to the Marina Ixtapa Nautica Golf Club.
Warnings & Dangers in Ixtapa
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Crime and violence are serious problems in Mexico and that is the reason why so many foreigners avoid visiting this beautify country, Generally, we can say that vigilant tourists would spend holidays in Ixtapa without having to worry about their security.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : HIGH
Those who decide to drive must keep car doors locked and windows closed, even at traffic lights. There have been a number of violent car-jackings and robberies, so avoid poor lit areas and do not leave valuables in the car.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
Just as in any other city, pickpockets are everywhere around Ixtapa. You need to take care when walking the streets and when you are in public transport as those are locations where thieves operate.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
One of the possible natural disasters is the hurricane and its season runs from June to November. Both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts can be affected.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
There is a possibility of violent criminal acts and, in some instances, tourists were attacked or just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Travelers should not worry about terrorism when in Mexico as there were no incidents in recent years. However, the attacks cannot be ruled out.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Taxi drivers might try to overcharge for their service so it is better to agree on the price prior to starting the ride. Also, the instances of spiked food and drink with the aim of assaulting and robbing are not rare, so be vigilant.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Being that women are easy prey for attackers, they need to be aware of their surroundings and avoid walking alone. It is better to be in a group than to regret later on.
So... How Safe Is Ixtapa Really?
Due to the fact that there is a possibility of tropical storms and hurricanes to happen in Ixtapa, which can cause flooding and landslides, travelers are suggested to get acquainted with the current situation prior to coming to a certain area.
It is not uncommon that police ask people to show their identification documents, so you should carry photocopies of your passport and of the stamped ‘Forma Migratoria Múltiple’ at all times.
Even though the Mexican government makes efforts to protect major tourist destinations and they have managed to achieve that these locations do not experience the levels of drug-related violence and crime experienced in some other cities, the incidents have been reported.
Tourists have not been the target of violent incidents in the majority of cases, there is still the chance that anyone in the vicinity of an incident can be affected.
If in some cases you become the victim of a crime, you must report the incident immediately by going to the nearest branch of the police.
How Does Ixtapa Compare?
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Hong Kong (China)||70|
- Visas - Besides the passports which have to be valid during your stay, other entry requirements include a visa only if you are coming for a longer stay in Mexico. Tourists will just have to complete an immigration form.
- Currency - The Mexican Nuevo Peso or simply Peso is the official currency. The payment can be made either by debit or credit cards. You can also exchange your money in exchange offices or banks.
- Weather - Ixtapa has a tropical climate, with less rainfall in winter than in summer. The temperatures are highest in July while the lowest temperatures are in February, around 29.
- Airports - Tourists coming to Ixtapa should use Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo International Airport, which is an international airport in the state of Guerrero. It serves tourists throughout the whole year who are visiting beaches and resorts.
- Travel Insurance - In case of emergency, when you are given some medical services, you should be prepared to pay for treatment yourself and then ask for a refund from the insurance company if you have travel insurance.
Ixtapa Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|