Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Leon is the main bus hub with connection destinations.
Most travelers reach the city to have a connecting bus.
But if you have some time before depart it’s worth to walk by streets near the bus station.
In the past Leon was a center of ranching district of Mexico, providing meat for the mining towns and processing hides.
Tourists can visit the archaeological zone of Ibarillo, which situated near Leon.
Also, the World Rally Championship occurs here annually in March.
And a three-day International Balloon Festival held annually in November, featuring balloon rides, food, and musical entertainment.
Warnings & Dangers in Leon
OVERALL RISK : LOW
It is better to avoid the outskirts of the city, not to be on the streets late at night, and to keep your belongings in a safe place.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Taxis are a fairly convenient and safe way to get around the city. Be sure to call only verified taxi service. Before you get in a taxi make sure you know the way.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
Leon does not suffer much from pickpockets due to a lack of tourists. But take care on public transport and in crowded areas since the risk exists. Being a vigilant person helps avoid any problems.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
The risk of natural disasters is not very high here. The area around Leon is prone to droughts and landslides.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of being robbed in Leon is quite low. Typically, robberies can occur if valuables are left unattended or cars are not closed in secure parking lots.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
The city is a fairly safe place, usually, there are no showdowns of cartels and drug crimes. However, as in all of Mexico, you should be alert, studying the latest news of the area.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
In Leon, there are not many situations with scam risks. This is due to the fact that there are not many tourists. However, to protect yourself from the possibility of cheating, always buy things in verified places, use only licensed ticket offices to buy bus tickets, do not buy tickets on hand.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Traveling women are safe enough in the city to travel alone here. Using the usual precautions such as modest clothing and not walking in the streets late at night are sufficient measures to be safe.
So... How Safe Is Leon Really?
Normally tourists bypass Leon. There no so many interesting tourist places in here, the city lives its own life.
However, the crime index is high enough for this city and it’s growing during the last years.
But Leon has mostly been spared of the drug violence.
Petty crime is rare here, due to the city being affluent.
Most of the crimes in Leon are aimed at theft of property, cars or robbery.
As often happens in Mexico, the city also sometimes suffers from a showdown between drug dealers.
Tourists rarely fall victim to scammers or criminals here.
Just do not go into cantinas late at night, keep your valuables safe,
not show up a lot of money and credit cards, do not stop at border areas of the city, don’t walk by streets drunk and you’ll be safe.
In the city normally quite calm and civilized citizens, who do not pay attention among single women travelers.
If you doubt the safety of traveling around the city, just use a taxi, usually, this is a fairly safe way to travel around Leon.
Use in Leon habitual common sense precautions as you do anywhere.
For news updates read U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings and you’ll be safe.
How Does Leon Compare?
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best time to visit Leon is from June to November. The average temperatures in Leon vary somewhat. Temperatures feel comfortable during all year, the chance of rain or snow is low.
- Airports - There is Del Bajío International Airport located in Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico in 20 km. It handles national and international air traffic of the area that includes the city of Leon, Silao, and Guanajuato.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance should be done before the trip to any country as well as Mexico. A custom officer can ask travelers to show insurance on the border.
Leon Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|
1 Review on Leon
Viví en esa ciudad y me tocaron robos con arma, robos de celular, carteras, y rompieron el vidrio de un coche justo en frente de un supermercado, entraban los ladrones a rovar en casas alejadas del centro e incluso me tocaron balaceras en plazas.
Diría que un poco más seguro que en la ciudad de México pero cada vez es más y más peligroso.