Ghent is a city and a municipality in the Flemish Region of Belgium.
It is the capital and largest city of the East Flanders province, and the third-largest municipality in Belgium.
Ghent is a city of history.
The whole of the city center is restored in mid ages fashion and still breathes its atmosphere.
The city center is free of cars and walkable.
Tourists come here to visit big cultural events such as the Gentse Feesten, I Love Techno in Flanders Expo, the “10 Days Off” musical festival, the International Film Festival of Ghent (with the World Soundtrack Awards) and the Gent Festival van Vlaanderen.
Warnings & Dangers in Ghent
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In general, traveling to Ghent is very safe, but tourists should be alert, not to carry a lot of cash, close cars if they rent them and be careful in crowded places.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
In public transport, it’s safe enough if you watch your pockets. Taxi is a reliable and convenient way to get around.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
The risk of Pickpockets is high in Ghent. It's especial unsafe on the railway stations and crowded places. You should keep an eye on your belongings.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
The risk of natural disasters is low here, but fires, landslides, and floods due to earthquakes are possible.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Travelers may become a victim of a robbery on streets if they appear at late night in the city. Be careful while walking by the city late at night.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of terrorism is quite high, as it occurs in the country and in the capital - Brussels. Before you travel to Ghent, explore the surroundings and the news sources.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
The city is a bit of a risk of scam, and tourists are advised to buy tickets to tourist attractions in licensed places. Avoid strangers who are trying to talk to you on the street by offering something.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
For women traveling alone is a safe place. Just use common sense when you are out in the street.
So... How Safe Is Ghent Really?
In general, Belgium is a safe place to travel, and the index of crime in Ghent is very low.
However, there is a bit of crime anyway.
Most of the touristic places are safe.
But if you occur beyond it, it may be not safe, especially at night.
There are cases of robbery of tourists, but the police work very well here and quickly respond to incidents.
Therefore, if you have any trouble, hurry to inform the nearest police station.
Petty theft is also common at train stations, trains, and crowded places.
Be careful not to leave your things unattended.
Professional thieves often work in teams of two or three and try to distract their victims such as asking of questions, spilling food or drink and so on.
Also, do not leave valuables in cars if you rent them.
And park only in secure parking lots or in garages.
Insofar as Ghent is a safe place to travel however it pays to be on alert.
Terrorism in the country has risen in the last several years.
While traveling here, tourists are required to carry identification at all times.
There are increased security checks in place at international airports and major train stations now.
How Does Ghent Compare?
|La Paz (Bolivia)||52|
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)||45|
|Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||43|
- Visas - You need to have a valid passport to travel to Belgium. For stays that are 90 days or shorter, visas are not required. For longer stays, you will need to obtain a visa from the Belgium Embassy, unless you have Schengen.
- Currency - The Euro is the official currency for Belgium. A sign is €; code: EUR. The euro is divided into 100 euro cents.
- Weather - The best times to visit Ghent for ideal weather are May to October. Temperatures feel cold for about half of the year and otherwise nice with a chance of rain or snow throughout most of the year.
- Airports - The nearest airport to Ghent is Antwerp International Airport, located in 54 km, and Brussels Airport, located 56 km from Ghent.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Ghent Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|