Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Matamoros is situated on the United States-Mexico border across the Rio Grande River.
This area is beautiful, tropical and humid.
Tourists may be interested in such places as Museum Of Contemporary Art Of Tamaulipas, Mexican Agrarian Museum, Casemate Museum.
Some travelers come here to visit Bagdad Beach which is located not so far from the city.
Here you can do all sorts of water activities such as fishing or swimming, and you can also take advantage of its dunes for walks ATV.
Also, an interesting place in Matamoros is The Juarez Market.
It is a pedestrian area and besides to buy some from a great selection of hats, shoes, traditional candies and handicrafts travelers can enjoy various architectural styles of streets.
Warnings & Dangers in Matamoros
OVERALL RISK : HIGH
The risk of getting into trouble is high enough at Matamoros. Traveling alone in a rental car is not a good idea. Many gang showdowns and poor police control of the area make this region not very safe for travel.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Taxis are usually without taximeters, and it’s better to agree on the price of the trip before you get into the car. Catching a taxi on the streets is quite dangerous. Public transport is not safe, there are many numbers of kidnapping from rout buses.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
The risk of becoming a pickpocket victim is not particularly great here. However, vigilance and keeping valuables in a safe place is recommended.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
In Matamoros exist risk from river flooding because of coastline and rivers here. Check authorized sources on these risks before the trip.
MUGGING RISK : HIGH
The consequences of careless behavior in the city can lead to kidnapping, carjacking, and even murder.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
There is a minimal risk of terrorism in Matamoros. However, the nature of the border and the ready access to human smugglers and counterfeit documents continue to make this area a potential transit point for international terrorists.
SCAMS RISK : HIGH
There are a lot of credit card frauds in the city, criminals got the hang of skimming cards and you can easily become a victim of such violence. It's recommended to use ATMs only in secure places.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Due to the fact that the Matamoros district is quite unsafe in itself, women traveling alone have a great risk of falling into an unpleasant situation where they can not fight back. It is not recommended to women travel alone here.
So... How Safe Is Matamoros Really?
The crime rate in the border areas of Mexico is quite high and Matamoros is no exception.
The random violence and one of the highest kidnapping rates in Mexico – are the main crimes here.
Local will try to cheat you if they see that you are a foreigner.
Serious risk crime in Matamoros a murder, robbery, carjacking, extortion, and sexual assault are quite common.
Also, armed criminal groups target public and travel passenger buses. Unfortunately, the chance of being taken hostage for demanding ransom payments are extremely high.
Federal and state security forces have limited capability to respond to violence in many parts of the state.
Exercise caution when using debit or credit cards in the Matamoros area – many cases here are related to cloning or counterfeiting debit or credit cards.
Take with you only a required amount of cash, use reputable ATMs in secure areas.
Roads are not safe for lonely travelers due to their isolation.
Incidents of gunfire between criminals and Mexican police time from time occur on the highways.
To be aware of what is happening, tourists are advised to review OSAC’s Mexico-specific webpage for proprietary analytic reports, Consular Messages, and contact information.
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best times to visit Matamoros for ideal weather are from November to April. The average temperatures in Matamoros vary somewhat. The chance of rain is low during the year. Most crowded months are June, July, and December.
- Airports - There is General Servando Canales International Airport in Matamoros, located 10 km away from the city center. It handles national and international air traffic for the city of Matamoros.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
Matamoros Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|