Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende is located about 274 km northwest of Mexico City in Guanajuato state.
This city has vivid narrow walkways and streets.
Travelers come here to delve into the music, food and arts scene of Mexico.
Colonial city with a lot of baroque architecture and artisan shops.
Here is a lot of things to do: shopping for antique things, exploring the city’s Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel church, discovering handcrafted Mexican masks at the Another Face of Mexico mask museum.
Here you can meet artists work in studios throughout the city, and crafts, jewelry, and other folk art are sold along the streets.
Warnings & Dangers in San Miguel de Allende
OVERALL RISK : LOW
The city is safe enough, but you should be careful in crowded places and avoid bars after sunset.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Public transport can be safe if you do not use it late at night. Taxis are safe enough, do not catch them on the streets, use only a licensed service or take it from the app on your smartphone.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of pickpocketing is high enough here. San Miguel de Allende has plenty of tourists, and travelers are a target for petty crimes. You should do not leave valuables unattended and keep especially important documents and things in the hotel safe.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
This region has practically no risks of natural disasters and is quite safe.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Mugging risk is medium in this area. Inattentive tourists can become an aim for robbery. You need to take normal security measures to protect your life and belongings.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Due to gangs showdowns time from to time the city sometimes suffers from terrorist attacks. Check new in official news' source before a visit to San Miguel de Allende.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
In San Miguel de Allende you can meet scams with travel entry fees in popular sight, taxi cheat with the cost of the trip. Make sure you buy tickets in a licensed place.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Alone women travelers are not uncommon in the city. However, you must be careful on the streets, not to walk late at night and not to go to bars.
So... How Safe Is San Miguel de Allende Really?
But despite its allure crime index increase greatly in San Miguel de Allende in past years.
There is a home of the leading gasoline-stealing gang in Mexico, located just in an hour and a half from San Miguel de Allende.
And the very prosperous economy of San Miguel de Allende holds much interest for this gang.
Sometimes businesses have to pay protection money to another gang, so from time to time, the city suffers from gang showdowns.
However, compared with other cities of Mexico, San Miguel de Allende remains quite safe.
The new policy has priority to maintain safety, especially in cities that wish is attracted to tourists.
Violence and crime in the city mainly concern gang fights and rarely affect tourists.
As usual, you need to take measures for your safety, do not appear on the streets at night, do not get drunk in bars.
Public transport can be unsafe, you need to carefully monitor your pockets.
The occasional incident usually takes place late at night.
Most of the city center is heavily patrolled by armed police.
San Miguel de Allende visits a lot of solo travelers and women who travel alone are not a rarity.
Use common sense for protecting your life and belongings.
How Does San Miguel de Allende Compare?
|San Miguel de Allende||75|
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Hong Kong (China)||70|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best time to visit San Miguel de Allende is November through April. Temperatures in San Miguel de Allende don't vary too much. Less crowded time is from January to May.
- Airports - Bajio airport - at Silao is the closest airport to San Miguel de Allende. It handles the domestics flight of the area of Guanajuato.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
San Miguel de Allende Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|