Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Veracruz is a big city in the state of Veracruz in Central Mexico.
The Port of Veracruz is the core of the town’s economy.
Travelers come here to enjoy nightlife, music and dancing with a strong Cuban influence.
Many tourists come here to visit the annual carnival celebrations in February. At that time the city becomes a very crowd.
In Veracruz there are many attractions to visit:
San Juan de Ulúa Castle, last fortress of the Spanish Empire; Museo Agustin Lara – the former house of famous music writer; the city Acuarium; Downtown with people who dance “danzon”: traditional Cuban music adopted in Veracruz.
Warnings & Dangers in Veracruz
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In general, the city is quite safe. But there is a risk of being robbed or cheated. You should take normal precautions to protect yourself.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Almost all the other public buses are not recommended for tourists because they are old, in bad condition, often very crowded. Taxi is a safe way of getting around. But be sure to negotiate the price before starting a trip.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
The city is crowded, due to the port, a variety of visitors come here. You need to keep valuables in a hotel safe and keep an eye on your money and documents.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
The region is prone to floods due to heavy rains. Travelers should find out information on this before traveling to Veracruz.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Mugging may happen in Veracruz only if you behave carelessly with your belongings. Take normal security measures to protect your life and belongings. Do not flash with valuables and keep your belongings in a safe place.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
There are a lot of cases of kidnapping and murder of journalists in Veracruz are occurred. Otherwise, terrorist attacks do not often happen here.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
There are not so many scams risks here. Make sure you buy tickets on tours in a licensed place and be watchful.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Female, traveling alone can feel safe in the city as long as they do not show up on the streets at late night and do not wear much jewelry.
So... How Safe Is Veracruz Really?
Time ago Veracruz was a safe haven from drug-related crime in Northern Mexico.
But now, possible to say that the city is quite safe. As much as a large port city can be safe.
The biggest problem that you may have is meet a pickpocketer or being mugged.
But that’s the case in any major city.
Keep valuable belongings in the hotel room safe and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
The U.S. Department of State recommends to visitors stay in defined tourist areas because those are considered safest, however it’s always important to stay vigilant about your surroundings and personal belongings.
It’s not quite safe to take public transportation and drive at night in the Veracruz area.
If you use common sense: don’t walk around the outskirts late at night, don’t get drunk, don’t flash or carry large amounts of cash and valuables, staying in the city will be safe and cheap.
Use a good travel sense. If you don’t go looking for the drug culture, you are safe from it as a tourist or local.
For more new information about the situation in Veracruz, check the US Travel Advisory site before traveling to this region.
How Does Veracruz Compare?
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||43|
|Siem Reap (Cambodia)||63|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best time to visit Veracruz for ideal weather is from December to March. The average temperatures in Veracruz don't vary much. Temperatures feel hot for most of the year with a low chance of rains.
- Airports - Veracruz has an International airport - General Heriberto Jara International Airport. It handles national and international air traffic for the city of Veracruz.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is required for travelers in any country as well as Mexico. On the border, any traveler may be asked by a customs officer to show insurance.
Veracruz Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|