Mexico : Safety by City
- Cabo San Lucas
- Chichen Itza
- Isla Holbox
- Isla Mujeres
- Los Cabos
- Mexico City
- Nuevo Laredo
- Piedras Negras
- Playa del Carmen
- Puerto Morelos
- Puerto Vallarta
- Queretaro City
- San Luis Potosi
- San Miguel de Allende
Hermosillo is the capital of Sonora.
The city was ranked as one of the 5 best cities to live in Mexico.
Travelers come here to see the Ecological center of Sonora with a great variety of flora and fauna of the different ecosystems and the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption.
During the Mexican Revolution of 1910-17, Hermosillo became the “revolutionary capital of the country”.
Due to a lot of immigration infusion in enterprise creation in the city observed strong economic growth.
It’s a modern city with many services and shopping malls, restaurants and tourist attractions.
Warnings & Dangers in Hermosillo
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Hermosillo is a safer place than the rest of Mexico. But recently the criminals have increased their activity in the city. Travelers should be careful with nightlife here and not break the law, especially traffic laws.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Tourists can use public trolleybuses to reach the city center and main sights. Do not use buses if you are not familiar with the routes cause you can get lost. Taxis are available and safe. It's recommended to take a taxi from a Taxi site or ask for one in the hotel.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
The risk of being a victim of pickpocketing in Hermosillo is low. But travelers should be aware of crowded places as well.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
The risk of natural disasters in Hermosillo is quite low. Worry can be only of sea-level rise that may lead to a risk of floods.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Mugging risk is low enough here. Tourists can be safe until they avoid showing up drunk and loud. Keep expensive belongings at a safe place in the hotel.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
The city has no problems from the cartels' showdowns, it may be only on city borders. Anyway, tourists must take precautions and respond to police reports.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Typically, the level of fraud is not particularly high in this city. However, if you look like a tourist too much, the police may cling to you to extort bribes or street criminals will want to attract your attention. Avoid unsolicited conversations and do not violate the rules of the road.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
The city is safe enough for female travelers. The best way to avoid problems is not to be in bars at night, not to wear too overtly clothes and be calm.
So... How Safe Is Hermosillo Really?
Hermosillo is far safer than the rest of Mexico.
Tourists could feel yourself safe near attractions because police are always close by in case of an emergency.
Mostly, Hermosillo got rid of the drug violence which is plaguing much of Mexico.
As a traveler, you do not have to worry about as the drug cartels mainly target rival members, the police and the military.
Hermosillo is attracting more and more foreign businessmen and companies.
Citizens are very friendly and welcoming to tourists and business visitors.
Hermosillo is more “liberal” than other parts of Mexico but it remains a conservative Catholic area.
Modest clothes for men and women is recommended.
Trying to fit in with the locals will save you from unwanted attention for criminals.
Travelers should know that in December, there is an increase in police checkpoints all over the city.
At this time of the year, the officers will find any excuse to try to arrest people in order to get money out of them via bribes. Be very careful.
In Hermosillo, you should follow the usual level of caution: park in secure parking lots, lock the car, do not carry valuables with you and do not wave your money around.
To avoid pickpockets and thieves, you should not be drunk on the streets. Use extreme caution at night.
How Does Hermosillo Compare?
|Playa del Carmen||69|
|Cabo San Lucas||68|
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - No visas required for tourist proposals to enter Mexico for many countries of Europe, US citizens and so on. You should have a valid passport and a tourist permit. The maximum possible of stay is 180 days. For a longer stay or other options, you should visit the Mexican embassy.
- Currency - The Mexican peso - is the official currency in Mexico. There are one hundred Mexican centavos to every peso. The symbol for the Mexican Peso is $, so you can see MX$ or MN$ in banks and exchange points.
- Weather - The best time to visit Hermosillo for ideal weather is from November to mid-April. The average temperatures in Hermosillo vary greatly. Temperatures feel hot for about half of the year. Comfortable temperature with a very low chance of precipitation mainly in winter.
- Airports - Hermosillo has an International Airport - General Ignacio L. Pesqueira International Airport. The airport handles several domestic flights and as well a flight to the U.S. city of Phoenix. Normally the airport serves as one another airport for flights headed to Tijuana International Airport, due to unfavorable weather at Tijuana or other technical problems. The airport is also a military base, denominated BAM-18, handling Mexican Air Force's flights.
- Travel Insurance - The medical travel insurance is recommended to do for all tourists before the trip. A custom officer can ask travelers to show insurance on the border.
Hermosillo Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|