Manama is the capital and largest city of Bahrain, with the population of about 157,000 people.
It is the main trading center in the Persian Gulf whose economy is based around the oil production and the home of various nationalities.
Once you visit Manama, the unavoidable tourist attractions are Bahrain National Museum, Desert Tour, Camel race and many others. It is a great place for holidays thanks to attractive beaches and lively nightlife. Besides the fact that Bahrain is an Islamic country, alcohol is legal, and Manama is full of clubs and bars which are very often visited by the people from all over the world searching for the entertainment.
Warnings & Dangers in Manama
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
The risks in Manama are at the same level as the risks in main European cities, with the exception of scams and kidnapping risk which are very rare in Manama. The overall safety Index is 54 which show that the crime level in the city is not on envious level.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Transport and traffic risks are very frequent in Manama due to the reckless drivers who do not respect road signs and speed limits. Roads in Manama are of high quality; however, the accidents regularly happen, especially during the night since some of the careless drivers do not turn on their lights. You can also rent a car or use taxis to travel around Manama, but bear in mind that the taxis are very expensive.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Manama is a famous holiday destination with a huge number of tourists which in turns leads to the probability of pickpocketing and mugging, so tourists need to take care of the bag snatching that does happen. Airports, market places and beaches are the target places of the thieves.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Normal and frequent weather conditions in Manama include the enormously high temperatures, over 50°C. There is a risk of sandstorms and severe thunderstorms which occasionally happen.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
The possibility of being kidnapped or mugged in Manama is very low.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
This region is very prone to terrorist attacks, due to the recent happenings. Since terrorist attacks have already occurred, the possibility of the novel ones is high.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Scams are not common in Manama since there are no recorded scam accidents and the risk of being scammed is considered low.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Women who visit Manama should take safety precautions, avoid speaking with unknown males and bear in mind the cultural differences. Modesty is very important. It is always recommended to avoid isolated districts late at night.
So... How Safe Is Manama Really?
Even though the Kingdom of Bahrain is a small island country with Manama as its capital, it is worth visiting and enjoying this magnificent city.
Juffair is the part of the city inhabited by the people from the USA and living in this neighborhood is a perfect choice due to the fact that the safety level is high. Another very safe area is the Seef and Reef Islands full of skyscrapers and especially made for those rich people who visit Manama, safe both during the day and night.
On the other hand, as in all the countries where there is the rise of unemployment, there is at the same time, the rise of the crime. The old bazaar located in the north of Manama is the main area of pickpockets. The theft of smartphones is very common and thieves use various approaches to rob tourists.
Manama is the cultural capital of Bahrain with many museums religious sights and parks to explore so if you have enough energy to go through all Manama’s landmarks and at the same time enjoy its magnificent beaches then this is a perfect destination for your next holiday.
- Visas - A very useful fact is that people wishing to visit Bahrain not only can find out if they are eligible for a visa via the Internet, but also can apply for the visa electronically. For those tourists that are staying less than 30 days, a visa is not obligatory, but their passport has to be valid until the day of the return to their country.
- Currency - If you are traveling to Manama, you should exchange your currency for the Bahraini Dinar which is the official currency in Bahrain. Most Manama banks, as well as Foreign Exchange Bureaus exchange foreign currency, but you should pay attention to the exchange rates. The banks at the airport may not offer the most favorable exchange rate.
- Weather - The characteristic of the weather conditions in Manama and the whole Bahrain is enormously high temperature, even 50°C. The summers are long and hottest months are from June to September while the winters are cool and windy.
- Airports - Bahrain International Airport which is in Muharraq, about 7 km from the capital Manama, has international flights with more than 8 million passengers per year. There are shops, bank, pharmacy, and many other facilities at the airport.
- Travel Insurance - Due to the fact that crime is on the rise in Manama, it is advisable that the tourists get a travel insurance which includes both the medical problems and the theft and loss of personal things. Insurance is ideal for tourists because their family and they themselves are fully protected while staying in Manama.
Manama Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|