Cluj-Napoca is the capital of the historical region Transylvania, it is one of the most visited cities in Romania.
Here you can have a great experience to see urban Transylvanian life at its best.
Tourists come here to enjoy fine dining, excellent cultural activities, a wonderful historical legacy, and a great atmosphere.
Cluj-Napoca has a number of landmark buildings and monuments.
One of those is the Saint Michael’s Church in Unirii Square, built at the end of the 14th century in the Gothic style of that period.
As an important cultural center, Cluj-Napoca has many theaters and museums like the National Museum of Transylvanian History, the Ethnographic Museum, the Cluj-Napoca Art Museum, the Pharmacy Museum, the Water Museum and the museums of Babeș-Bolyai University and so on.
Warnings & Dangers in Cluj-Napoca
OVERALL RISK : LOW
The city is quite safe, the crime rate is very low, only night races can cause concern. Be careful when driving in the dark.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Taxis and buses are a convenient and safe type of transport. You can be sure that even when you are drunk, you will be taken where necessary without any problems.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are found in the city, especially in tourist places. Beware of the tramps and watch your belongings.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Cluj-Napoca is located in a part of the country where periodic earthquakes and floods are possible. You must familiarize yourself with the possibility of this risk before traveling to this city.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
The risk of robbery on the street is not very high, but caution is advised. Do not leave valuables unattended; always close the car.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
No recent terrorist attacks have been recorded in this region. However, you should always be cautioned because terror sometimes happens in tourist places.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of scams is common enough. You should be careful on the streets and beware of tramps and beggars. Only withdraw money from ATMs at banks to avoid card fraud.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling alone will feel completely safe in the city. However, be careful when traveling around the city at night.
So... How Safe Is Cluj-Napoca Really?
Cluj-Napoca is a very safe city. The index of crime is very low here.
Cluj-Napoca also remains a very safe city for solo travels.
There is no need to worry about thieves or dishonest people.
People here are gentle and helpful.
If you get lost wandering around the city, you’ll get directions straight away.
Taxis are everywhere and it’s a safe type of transportation.
Travelers should notice that Romanians are very welcoming people, and they are willing to offer you everything and tend to insist – a lot- especially when it comes to food & drinks.
Although the overall crime rate is plenty low, petty crime can be an irritant for foreigners.
Police in the city works good and can be trusted.
But the negative side is that corruption and public transport safety remain concerns.
For recent years in Cluj-Napoca has seen an increase in illegal road races, which occur mainly at night on the city’s outskirts or on industrial sites and occasionally produce victims.
Travelers should be cautioned especially they rent and ride a car here.
But the city seeks to develop tourism, so security is a priority.
You can feel quite calmly here, showing ordinary common sense in relation to your safety and the safety of personal belongings.
How Does Cluj-Napoca Compare?
|Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||43|
|Siem Reap (Cambodia)||63|
- Visas - You need to have a valid passport to travel to Romania. For stays that are 90 days or shorter, visas are not required. For longer stays, you will need to obtain a visa from the Romanian Embassy, unless you have Schengen.
- Currency - The Romanian leu is the currency of Romania. It is subdivided into 100 bani. The sign is L or RON.
- Weather - The best times to visit Cluj-Napoca for ideal weather are from April to Mid October. Average temperatures in Cluj-Napoca vary much and temperatures feel cold for about half of the year and otherwise nice with a fair chance of precipitation about half of the year.
- Airports - Cluj-Napoca has an international airport - Avram Iancu Cluj International Airport. It is located 9 km east of the city center. This airport is the second busiest airport in Romania.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Cluj-Napoca Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|