Iasi is considered to be the second largest city of Romania located in the Eastern part and namely in historical well-known Principality of Moldova.
It is also known as The Cultural Capital of Romania and one of the leading centers of the social and artistic life of Romania.
Iasi is actually nowadays one of the few cities that have a great range of about one hundred orthodox churches that one should visit.
Warnings & Dangers in Iasi
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Overall it can be claimed that it is a safe destination for tourists if all precautions measures will be taken into account and choose wisely your accommodation.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Transport infrastructure is quite developed in the city and as a result, traveling facilities are available and are claimed to be safe. However, if using public transportations get the route as there are some troubles with the station information and you should be informed in order to reach the final destination.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are often met here and therefore it is advisable to keep a close look at your belongings especially on your documents and try if possible not to carry all you have with you but instead store them in a safe place.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
There are no considerable natural disaster risks that can somehow affect you negatively as in almost all European countries.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
There is an increasing number of violent crimes in the city, meaning that in order for you to avoid such unpleasant cases you should opt for not walking alone at night is not so populated places and take all measures to safeguard your possessions as well as yourself.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Terrorist attacks happening in the city can not be ruled out and the only solution to this would be to follow the advice of public authorities. These will take care of you and diminish as much as possible the negative effect it can have on you.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
There are scammers in the city but these could be easily avoided through using your common sense and not being easily influenced. If you feel the pressure from a person regarding a decision report it immediately and get rid of that person as soon as possible.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
This is considered to be a safe place for solo traveling women and not only, but still, it is advisable to not walk alone in the dark part of the day.
So... How Safe Is Iasi Really?
Overall it is a safe destination for you as a tourist from almost all perspectives, but it is advisable to take all measures in order to preserve your safety and security.
In recent years with the development of tourism in the city the cases of robberies, thefts, and crime, in general, have increased, which means that you as a tourist should choose wisely your accommodation which will ensure your safety.
Be aware of a big gang of pickpockets that operate in the most populated areas of the city and keep a close look at your belongings, especially your documents.
Also, it is recommended to always have a mobile phone from which in case of emergency you will be able to call as well as have a list of numbers.
Even if it is claimed to be relatively safe there are some neighborhoods that are advisable especially by night to not be visited however, during the day these could be and are recommended to be visited.
These one could be easily found at the tourist information point together with a lot of more interesting and important updates related to tours, guides, experiences of any kind as well as the must-see and do of the city which will ensure you a safe and great trip.
Taking everything into account and following all the above-mentioned pieces of advice you will be able to safely enjoy your trip.
- Visas - It depends on your citizenship whether you need a visa or not, but all the required information is clearly provided by the web-site of the public authorities.
- Currency - The local currency is the Romanian Leu or the well-known Ron that you will be able to get in exchange for quite a wide range of currencies available on the Romanian exchange market.
- Weather - The climate of Romania is a humid, continental-type with four distinct seasons, where summers are warm and winters are cold and windy with moderate snowfall.
- Airports - Iasi international airport is the airport that operates a quite wide range of international flights and therefore is considered to be the fourth-busiest airport in Romania in terms of passenger traffic, and the most important airport in the historical region of Moldavia.
- Travel Insurance - As it is always recommended to have travel insurance while traveling, no matter the destination, therefore, Iasi is not an exception.