Besides being the most visited tourist destination and the most beautiful city in world, Paris is cosmopolitan city located in the north of France on the river Seine and is home to the world’s finest and most luxurious fashion designers and cosmetics, such as Chanel, Dior, Yves Saint-Laurent, Guerlain, Lancôme, L’Oréal, Clarins.
Paris is visited by over 30 million tourists every year and many people consider it the most romantic of all cities. It has a nickname “the city of light” and is the center of culture, art, fashion, food and design.
Warnings & Dangers in Paris
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
The police is doing its best to make Paris a safe place to live and travel, but the amount of tourists attract a lot of pickpockets on the city’s streets. The overall risk is medium, but still you need to remain cautious as in any other tourist destination in the world.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Pedestrians need to pay attention when crossing streets due to the fact that drivers can be very aggressive in Paris. Cars can be even found in pedestrian-only areas. If you decide to come with your car, be aware that driving in Paris is dangerous and there are limited Parking spaces. When traveling by taxi, determine the price before getting in the taxi, since Paris taxi drivers to overcharge tourists. There might be some risk while taking public transport in Paris.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
Pickpocketing is the most common crime in Paris targeting tourists, so take care of your personal possessions, especially in trains, metro stations, and any popular tourist areas. You can protect yourself by having less than $100 in cash with you at a time and using your hotel room safe. Never leave your bags or valuables unattended because they might be considered a security threat and can be destroyed by security officials.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
Except of a few avalanche risks and floods, there are not any more serious natural hazards in Paris.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Paris is a very safe city when the serous crime acts are in question, so the mugging and kidnapping risk is low.
TERRORISM RISK : HIGH
The high terrorist threat exists in whole Europe and in Paris too, since it is the most visited capital and a very attractive one to the terrorists. Due to recent terrorist attacks, Authorities advice people to STAY ALERT and follow their advice. Terrorism is special threat to British travelers and open spaces or demonstrations should be avoided since that attract Islamist terrorist group.
SCAMS RISK : HIGH
A lot of scammers in Paris try to take advantage of tourists. The most famous tricks are “gold ring” tricks when somebody pretends to find a ring in front of you and demand money for it, fake petitions, groups of teenagers offering help with your luggage. Be especially aware around Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Even though Paris is safe for women travelers, when traveling alone, they should avoid areas around metro Les Halles, Gare du Nord, Stalingrad and Jaures particularly late at night and should stay in well-lit areas. Eye contact with man is considered as an invitation to make advances.
So... How Safe Is Paris Really?
Paris is such a great city because it offers tourist a chance to go to almost every part of the city without being afraid of mugging, kidnapping or any other type of serious crime.
Paris is one of the safer cities in Europe and the biggest problem one may face while in Paris is pickpockets and scammers. Pickpockets are likely to be found at any area with large crowds, such as train stations and large department stores.
The police is professional and does its best to make Paris even more safer, but you still need to practice common sense.
- Visas - As in any other European country which belongs to the European Union, the visas are not required for stays under 90 days for the visitors that do not belong to the European Union, while the EU nationals are permitted to stay in the country as long as they want. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The official currency in France is the Euro. The ATMs should be used with care and you need to pay attention to your surroundings you when you withdraw money. Paris is one of the very expensive capital cities.
- Weather - Paris has a maritime climate. The winters are cool and summers are warm. In January, the temperatures are 6°C without frequent snow. Summers in Paris are warm and pleasant and that is the best part of the year to visit it.
- Airports - There are many airport options when coming to Paris since you can use any of the international airports such as Aéroport de Charles de Gaulle, Paris Orly, Aéroport de Bordeaux, Aéroport de Lille, Aéroport International Strasbourg, Aéroport Lyon-St Exupéry, Aéroport Marseille-Provence, Aéroport Nantes Atlantique, Aéroport Nice Côte d’Azur and Aéroport Toulouse-Blagnac.
- Travel Insurance - Travel insurance which will cover medical problems, theft and loss of personal items is essential in any country, as well as in France. Travelers usually purchase travel insurance along with their plane ticket.
Paris Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|