France : Safety by City
- Le Havre
Toulon is the city on the Mediterranean coast and it is an important center for naval construction, fishing, and winemaking.
Toulon is a port that has a rich history, being that the French navy has been based at Toulon for more than 500 years.
However, the city dates back to Ancient Greek times.
If you go up to Mont Faron, you will be able to see nine towers and forts which once watched over the bay, remnants of which are still there.
You should also visit Rade de Toulon where you can see the gigantic ships and the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier.
Warnings & Dangers in Toulon
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Due to the possible natural disasters and the possibility of experiencing unwanted emergency situation, you are advised to take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. This is very useful in case something happens to you in Toulon, which cannot be predicted.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
The safest means of traveling in France is public transport and the only thing that might disrupt it is strike action. There are instances when pickpockets robbed a traveler on a bus, but if you keep an eye on your possessions, nothing wrong will happen to you.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets tend to follow those people who withdraw money from ATMs, so be especially cautious when using ATM machines and our suggestion is to use those located in well-lit areas and during the day. Those located in stores are the safest.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
In Toulon, there is a possibility of forest fires in summer and great floodings in autumn and spring months. Tourists need to follow the advice of the authorities if they happen to be in an endangered area.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Wearing expensive jewelry can be attractive to muggers. They might attack you with the gun, but their aim is not to hurt you but to take your possessions and valuable things. So, it is better to give them what they ask than to suffer serious consequences.
TERRORISM RISK : HIGH
The French government has reinforced domestic and overseas security measures so as to prevent any kind of terrorism, but when and where they will attack cannot be predicted. Tourists need to be vigilant and wise in case this happens.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
You should not take unlicensed taxis, because those drivers tend to overcharge tourists. Also, there were instances that taxi drivers robbed some tourists. Also, pay attention to your drinks and food so as not to be spiked or drugged.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Females should not go out alone at night and if they notice that someone is following them on foot, they should cross the street and enter an open store or restaurant. The best suggestion for them is to be in the company of a male person.
So... How Safe Is Toulon Really?
If you are planning on swimming, you should have in mind that local sea conditions can be dangerous even for the strongest swimmers.
If lifeguard suggests that it is not safe to swim, you should always follow the advice closely.
Travelers who come to France by car, or rent one so that they can visit some of the places there should be aware that they might experience some delays or blockages caused by local demonstrators, being that nowadays the yellow vest movement is popular throughout France and they continue protesting.
Tourists are suggested to stay away from any kind of demonstrations happening there, so as not to be hurt, arrested by the police or even worse, experience a terrorist attack.
Terrorist attacks in France are possible to happen, due to ongoing threats by Islamist terrorist groups.
That is the reason why the French government has warned both the residents and tourists to be especially vigilant.
If you notice any kind of suspicious behavior, you should stay away from that place and inform the police.
The Government has reinforced security measures, so do not worry if you are asked by the police to provide your ID.
- Visas - You need to get informed about the entry requirements for the country you are coming from, being that tourists for Europe do not need a visa to enter France, while some other country residents would need to obtain it.
- Currency - People coming from countries other than Europe would need to exchange their money to Euros and they should do it in exchange offices and banks. It is advisable to do that during daylight hours.
- Weather - The climate in Toulon is warm and temperate and the rain falls mostly in the winter. The temperature in July averages 22.9 °C, and this is considered the warmest month of the year.
- Airports - Toulon–Hyères Airport is an airport serving both Toulon and Hyeres. It is located 3 kilometers southeast of Hyères and 19 kilometers east of Toulon. It is also known as Hyères Le Palyvestre Airport.
- Travel Insurance - Even if you think that you are healthy and that you would not need medical assistance during your trip, it is a wise decision to get it in case unexpected occurrences happen there.
Toulon Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|