Krabi often referred to as Krabi Town, is the capital of Krabi Province in Thailand, known for its gorgeous beaches and luxury resorts.
However, though the province is known for its beaches, Krabi Town doesn’t have any.
It is a small city of about 55,000 residents and most tourists don’t stick around, they just move towards the popular beach resorts of the province.
Still, the place is considered Thailand’s “nook”: it is a relaxed place which is pleasant enough for travelers to spend a night – and it’s a place where you can certainly experience the true and traditional Thailand.
Warnings & Dangers in Krabi
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Generally speaking, Krabi is a safe city, though there are some scammers and petty thieves. You better apply all possible precautious measures, just in case you stumble upon them.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
There is a great risk when it comes to transportation conditions in all of Thailand, not just in Krabi. The number one cause of death for visitors to Thailand is motorbike accidents that often occur on the narrow, mountainous and twisty roads. Avoid public transport too, as this is where the pickpockets operate.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
Krabi isn't as visited as all the other cities in Thailand so, apart from the beaches in the rest of the Krabi province, there is no reason to be afraid of the pickpockets in this city. They are usually on the beaches filled with foreigners, where excessive vigilance is highly recommended.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
As for natural disasters, Krabi is known for tsunamis, severe storms, and occasional earthquakes.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Kidnappings are not often and neither are muggings, though they're possible, especially in the remote areas of the city and other secluded areas outside of it.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Thailand has been a target of small bomb attacks and shootings, but places like Krabi aren't possible targets since they're secluded and mostly consist of beach resorts.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Be prepared that most people providing any type of service for tourists in Krabi are probably going to try to scam you or rip you off. Tuk-tuk drivers, fake police officers, street vendors are all possible scammers. Keep in mind that ATMs are places where criminals try and steal pin codes.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Even though Krabi could generally be considered a safe city for women, they are still highly advised to follow the basic rules of precaution. Apart from that, use your common sense and apply all basic precaution measures.
So... How Safe Is Krabi Really?
Many consider Krabi to be the least risky place in the whole country.
However, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have its dangers: petty theft like pickpocketing or bag snatching is more than common and you should expect it at every step.
Violent crime has been on the rise during the past couple of years and muggings and robberies are not rare at all, but most don’t affect tourists.
Avoid any confrontations during the night, at bars and clubs as you might get severely beaten up.
There have, of course, been reports of getting ridiculously overcharged by taxi drivers, street vendors, practically anyone providing any service, so do be careful about getting scammed.
Still, these warnings are just for hypothetical situations, since you probably won’t get in any kind of trouble in Krabi: except for stealing and petty crimes on the beaches and mainly after dark, there aren’t many criminal activities in this part of Thailand.
Another danger, though, that you shouldn’t forget is the driving in Thailand which is very dangerous for tourists: the number one cause of death for visitors to Thailand is motorbike accidents, which often occur on the narrow, mountainous and twisty roads.
- Visas - US citizens planning on traveling to Krabi for less than 30 days do not need a visa. Just make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months past the date of arrival into this city. If you are not sure about your visa status, contact your local Thailand embassy for further information.
- Currency - Thai BAHT is the official currency of Krabi. In this country and, by itself, this city, you should treat the money well: never step on a coin, or throw, tear or burn paper bills, because it shows disrespect to the royal family.
- Weather - The climate in Krabi is tropical, with mostly high temperatures and an abundance of humidity throughout the year. The best time to visit this city is between November and February.
- Airports - Krabi International Airport is the international airport serving Krabi, Thailand. The airport is located about 7 km east of the city center.
- Travel Insurance - Just like anywhere else, we recommend getting travel insurance when traveling to Krabi, since it covers not only the costs of medical problems but also theft and loss of valuables.
Krabi Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|