Kaunas is the second-largest city in Lithuania by the population.
Tourists come here to visit is its charming Old Town, connected to the 19th century New Town ranged along Laisvės alėja.
The city was the country’s capital between the two world wars.
Various city sightseeing tours are available: Kaunas Castle, mid-14th built-in; Kaunas City Hall, built in renaissance style in the mid-16th century; Kaunas Medicine and Pharmacy Museum, houses a vast collection of skulls, herbs, medicine articles, and other items of earlier times.
And regular fairs, festivals & events such as Kaunas Jazz and Birthday of Kaunas city as well.
Warnings & Dangers in Kaunas
OVERALL RISK : LOW
The city is safe enough; you can be sure that you will not get into trouble if you use common sense. You can walk here day and night and know that you will not meet robbers or cheaters.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Keep track of your pockets on public transport. Pickpocketing is not common, but it does happen. Taxis are safe but order a licensed service. Be sure a taxi driver turn on a taximeter.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
In tourist places or train stations, as well as in crowded public transport, you need to monitor your pockets, as there are pickpockets. Not often, but it happens when a couple of pickpockets can come to you, and while one distracts you, the second may try to empty your pockets. be on the alert.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
You can be calm here after all Lithuania has no severe natural disasters. There are no deadly earthquakes, volcanos, tsunamis, hurricanes, or floods. Check weather conditions before your trip to make sure that you'll be safe.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Cases of armed robbery or kidnapping can occur only if you misbehave, get drunk at night in bars, or get involved in drunken fights. Otherwise, the city is safe, and the inhabitants here do not trade in such actions.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
The risk of terrorism in Kaunas is minimal. No such cases have occurred in the history of the city, and there are no messengers for them in the future. Nevertheless, terrorism often happens in Europe. Therefore, Kaunas is also a potential risk zone.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Quiet Kaunas rarely offends its guests, but as usual in the cities, some rush to cash in on tourists. Common tourist traps are possible in the city when you are forced to overpay for souvenirs. Otherwise, they're not trying to fool around here.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Kaunas is safe for women who want to travel alone. Follow basic rules of safety, do not walk alone at night on streets or at bars, and you'll be safe. Contact police if someone hazards you.
So... How Safe Is Kaunas Really?
Kaunas is generally safe.
The index of crime is low here.
Everyone should take some precautions against pickpockets and baggage theft, especially in public transport and at stations.
There some places like the “Station market” – opposite the central train station – that travelers should avoid.
It’s a rough area, especially on evenings, where you can be scammed or mugged.
But besides these places, Kaunas is very safe.
It is hard to find any locations where you could get some trouble unless you wanted to.
The city is not too big, and pretty much everything is within walking distance from the center.
Travelers can walk around safely at any time of the day.
Some tenements are not adequately restored, and it may make an impression of a bad neighborhood, but it is only an impression, nothing more, and people are quite kind and helpful.
While all this safety, you must be well-informed about the crime that does happen on the streets there, such as petty thefts, pickpocketing, or scams.
Do not get drunk and walk in the streets late at night with your valuables, and you’ll be safe.
Using your common sense and taking necessary precaution measures should be enough to make your trip pleasant.
How Does Kaunas Compare?
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - Several countries' residents are welcome to stay in Lithuania for up to 90 days without a visa. Residents of the EU do not need a visa, and citizens of other countries should contact the embassy of Lithuania. Check your status on www.doyouneedvisa.com.
- Currency - The Euro is the official currency for the Netherlands. A sign is €; code: EUR. The euro is divided into 100 euro cents. The currency is also used officially by the institutions of the European Union and by four European microstates that are not EU members.
- Weather - The best times to visit Kaunas for ideal weather are from mid-May to mid-September. Temperatures feel cold for about half of the year, with a lot of chance of rain or snow most of the year.
- Airports - Kaunas International Airport is the second-busiest civil airport in Lithuania after Vilnius Airport. The airport is located in the central part of the country, 14 km northeast of the Kaunas city center.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Kaunas Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|