India : Safety by City
- Navi Mumbai
Navi Mumbai also known by its former name New Bombay is a planned city off the west coast of the Indian state of Maharashtra in Konkan division.
It was founded in 1971 as a satellite township to take the pressure off Mumbai city.
It is known that the city is around 10% cheaper than mainland Mumbai because of fewer tourists.
Tourists come here to see: Kharghar Hills, (Belapur) – a very cool place on a hilltop.
People prefer to come here for morning and evening walk; Vihar Sarovar Garden, like a second marine drive, provides a beautiful view of the sea; Waterfalls- on the way from Mumbai to Panvel.
Warnings & Dangers in Navi Mumbai
OVERALL RISK : LOW
The city is very safe, has a low crime rate. However, you should be careful when moving through the streets at night, avoid crowds and keep track of your things.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Taxi is safe, but you should negotiate the price before sitting in the car. The public transport is not very safe, you can become a victim of pickpockets, so you should remain attentive, particularly on night trains and buses.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
The risk of pickpockets is high especially in public transportation and popular tourist places. Travelers need to keep an eye on their passport and luggage, as well as handbags.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Navi Mumbai is exposed to earthquakes, tsunamis, landslides, heavy precipitation, floods, heatwaves, cyclone and severe winds, public health risks among others.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
In Navi Mumbai there no usually cases of armed robbery or kidnapping rarely occur. In this regard, it is quite safe here.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Terrorist attacks take place in Navi Mumbai. They are not rare in India and victims of such attacks are often random tourists. Learn the news and the political situation before visiting this city.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Little fraud is at a high level here. Travelers should avoid travel alone, in public transport or in crowded places. Be cautioned of beggars and refuse any help from strangers.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling alone can be safe if they follow the rules: do not walk late at night, avoid the outskirts of the city and wear modest clothes.
So... How Safe Is Navi Mumbai Really?
Navi Mumbai is safe enough place.
The level of crime is low.
Although the likelihood of experiencing crime is less than in other cities in the region, criminal activities in Navi Mumbai such as chain snatching, pickpocketing, cellphone snatching can occur time from time.
These crimes are possible but rarely affected mainly sparsely populated areas.
Murder and armed robbery did not happen.
The main inconvenience may come from riots and community feuds.
The biggest danger in the city is traffic, it’s really unsafe and a lot of accidents happen here due to a lack of traffic police or security cameras.
Crime is rare here and police work fast.
They are helpful and you can ask for help if you need it.
Tourists can feel pretty much safe here at any time of day or night.
Women traveling alone can feel safe here. However, they and any tourist should have common sense, not to leave belongings unattended, to be careful in tourist and crowded places.
Keep your valuables in the hotel safe and do not carry a lot of cash in your pockets.
Never consume drinks or eatables offered to you by strangers.
Avoid traveling during late nights, especially when are all alone.
For women are advised to wear modest clothes.
How Does Navi Mumbai Compare?
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)||45|
|Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||43|
- Visas - Visitors to India must obtain a visa unless they come from one of the visa-exempt countries or a country whose citizens may obtain a visa on arrival, or an e-Visa online. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The Indian rupee is the official currency of India. It has a sign: ₹ and code: INR. The rupee is subdivided into 100 paise.
- Weather - The best times to visit Navi Mumbai for ideal weather are from mid-February to May and from November to January. The average temperatures in Navi Mumbai are pretty constant. The weather feels hot all year with a low chance of precipitation most of the year.
- Airports - Navi Mumbai has an International Airport which is an under-construction greenfield international. You can get to Navi Mumbai from Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport, it's located 27 km from the city.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Navi Mumbai Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|