India : Safety by City
- Navi Mumbai
Surat is a city in the Indian state of Gujarat.
It used to be a large seaport and is now a center for diamond cutting and polishing.
It is the eighth-largest city and ninth largest urban agglomeration in India.
The city is also well known for its textile industries.
Tourists can see here the Surat castle(Old Fort), Mugal Sarai, and Chintamani Jain Temple – which has not only religious importance but also established one of the best examples of wooden craftsmanship and drawing with a vegetable dye of Gujarat.
And also try very special dishes here Locho, Surti Undhiyu, Rasawala Khaman, Cold coco, and Surti Ghari.
Warnings & Dangers in Surat
OVERALL RISK : LOW
In general, the city is very safe, you should be careful on the roads. It is also better to avoid public transportation and crowded tourist spots.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Public transport isn't safe because of pickpockets. Taxi can be safe if you take a licensed car. Negotiate the prices before you board the transport.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of pickpocketing is moderate. It's recommended to keep an eye on your personal belongings and be extremely cautioned in-crowd.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Recurrent flooding and malaria are the main disasters in that region. Dengue fever is a risk also. Higher temperatures in summer may cause inconvenience.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Armed robberies are rare here; you should use common sense and do not walk on the outskirts of the city late at night.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Terrorist attacks can take place here. They are not rare in India and victims of such attacks are often random tourists. Learn the news and the political situation before visiting this city.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Little fraud can occur at Surat. Travelers should avoid being alone, in public transport or crowded places. Be cautioned of beggars and refuse any help from strangers. Use ATM only near a bank.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling alone can feel safe in Surat. Use common sense and do not walk late at night, avoid night bars.
So... How Safe Is Surat Really?
Surat is a safe enough city.
The index of crime is low.
Despite the level of crime was growing recently, most fraud here is corruption and bribe.
In the Gujarat area, it’s the safest city.
It is the only city in Gujarat which is fully covered under the CCTV surveillance project.
It helps avoid major crime incidents and keep city safety under control.
Video cameras on roads significantly improved traffic management and compliance with traffic regulations and also greatly enhanced police vigilance.
It was the biggest deterrent to crime for the city.
Therefore, being in the city, you should be very careful with the rules of the road, be sure to follow them.
And, as everywhere else, it is necessary to observe common sense, not to walk the streets and outskirts of the city late at night, wear modest clothes while visiting religious sites, be attentive in the crowds and watch over your pockets.
Leave valuables securely locked at the hotel.
Do not leave the windows of your room open.
Trained monkeys can steal your things.
Be careful with street food, eat in large restaurants.
Drink only bottled water and have a stomach cleanser with you.
How Does Surat Compare?
|Siem Reap (Cambodia)||63|
|Phnom Penh (Cambodia)||61|
|Niagara Falls (Canada)||87|
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - Visitors to India must obtain a visa unless they come from one of the visa-exempt countries or a country whose citizens may obtain a visa on arrival, or an e-Visa online. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The Indian rupee is the official currency of India. It has a sign: ₹ and code: INR. The rupee is subdivided into 100 paise.
- Weather - The best times to visit Surat for ideal weather are from December to March. Average temperatures in Surat vary somewhat and temperatures feel hot for most of the year with a low chance of precipitation most of the year.
- Airports - Surat International Airport is a customs airport located 13 km from the city. It is the second busiest airport in Gujarat and serves international and domestic flights.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Surat Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|
India - Safety by City