India : Safety by City
- Navi Mumbai
Pune is the second-largest city in Maharashtra state and is considered the state’s cultural capital.
The city contains the headquarters of an administrative division officially known as the Pune division.
It is also the headquarters of the southern command of the Indian army, with the Khadakwasla Academy located nearby.
Pune has a large student population that makes for a lively nightlife and atmosphere.
Pune also houses fantastic restaurants, good museums and is well known for its surrounding hill forts which offer panoramic bird’s-eye views.
The city has long been a major educational and cultural center.
Warnings & Dangers in Pune
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In general, the city is quite safe, one of the safest in the region. But you should be careful when driving on roads, monitor your belongings at the hotel and beware of street food.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Public transport isn't safe because of pickpockets. Taxi can be safe if you take a licensed car. Negotiate the prices before you board the transport.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
The risk of pickpocketing is high, you should always keep an eye on your personal belongings and be extremely cautioned in-crowd.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
Sometimes the region is prone to landslides due to heavy rains. It is recommended that you study the information on this subject before traveling here.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Armed robberies do not happen here often; you should use common sense and do not walk on the outskirts of the city late at night.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Terrorist attacks can take place in Pune. They are not rare in India and victims of such attacks are often random tourists. Learn the news and the political situation before visiting this city.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Little fraud is at a high level here. Travelers should avoid travel alone, in public transport or in crowded places. Be cautioned of beggars and refuse any help from strangers.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling alone can be safe in Pune. But always better do not walk late at night, avoid the outskirts of the city and wear modest clothes.
So... How Safe Is Pune Really?
Pune is a very safe place.
The index of crime is a low and violent crime is rare.
But, as everywhere it’s important to keep an eye on your belongings in public, as petty theft can occur.
Locals in Pune are friendly and can be helpful.
Travelers must be careful on the outskirts because of mugging incidents, especially on highways and desolate areas.
Traffic in Pune may be a problem if you rent a car to drive here.
Very poor infrastructure is the main issue.
Lack of discipline especially during overtaking and driving on the wrong side is rampant in the city and on highways.
Be cautioned when you on a zebra crossing. Mostly drivers behave rudely and do not let the way for pedestrians.
And use the helmet every time you drive two-wheeler.
Do not keep open windows in the hotel room.
Trained monkeys sometimes may be sent to find the money and valuables.
Keep your stomach safe and eat only in big restaurants in the city center and avoid outdoor food.
Sometimes in a taxi, train or rickshaw, tourists can be cheated with overestimating the fare or demanding payment for luggage separately.
Be careful with this and negotiate the prices before you board the transport.
- Visas - Visitors to India must obtain a visa unless they come from one of the visa-exempt countries or a country whose citizens may obtain a visa on arrival, or an e-Visa online. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The Indian rupee is the official currency of India. It has a sign: ₹ and code: INR. The rupee is subdivided into 100 paise.
- Weather - The best times to visit Pune for ideal weather are mid-October to mid-March. Average temperatures in Pune vary somewhat and the weather feels hot for most of the year with a low chance of precipitation.
- Airports - Pune Airport is located approximately 10 km northeast of the city. The airport serves both domestic and international flights.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Pune Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|