Russia : Safety by CityRussia - safety as a country
Novosibirsk is the third-most populous city in Russia.
It has a population of over 1.6 million people and located in Siberia.
This city has embraced its status as the capital of Siberia and opened its doors to the world.
A slew of museums and monuments, a relaxed big-city vibe, a pulsating nightlife, and a wealth of excellent accommodation are available to the visitors.
In Novosibirsk, tourists can visit historical and art museums, a zoo. Visit Akademgorodok – the mecca for academics.
This formerly elite institution is located about 30 km south of the city and features several museums and nice, tree-lined streets.
Warnings & Dangers in Novosibirsk
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Novosibirsk is a reasonably safe city, although some security measures are worth taking. Do not get drunk in bars, and don't go drunk on the streets. It is better not to walk late at night through the streets of the city, especially in some areas. If you return to the hotel late - it is better to take a taxi.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Public transport is safe enough, but you need to be alert to pickpockets. They often crowd in crowded vehicles. Taxis are reliable but do not catch a car on the street. Use licensed taxis or call from the application on your phone. Especially if you are traveling from the airport.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
There are many pickpockets, especially in crowded transport and in tourist places. Also, keep an eye on your pockets and bags at cafes and bars. It’s better not to leave things unattended. Do not carry more than the sum of money and jewelry. Carry a copy of your documents with you; it is better to keep the original in the hotel safe.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
Novosibirsk region suffers from forest fires and river floods. Floods most often occur as a result of river spills in spring. Fires are possible in summer during severe droughts and heat. Check the weather conditions before you travel to this city.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Armed severe robberies and attacks are rare in Novosibirsk, and tourists are rarely is the target for criminals. You can accidentally become a victim of an attack only if you are intoxicated and walk late at night through the dimly lit city streets. In Novosibirsk, it is better to walk in groups than alone.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Cases of terrorist attacks are not rare in Russia. Therefore, even though the recent history of Novosibirsk, terrorist attacks did not occur, their attacks are quite possible in this city. Do not participate in mass gatherings and street rallies to avoid this risk.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Most often, in Novosibirsk, there is a fraud associated with SMS mailing and telephone fraud. Tourists rarely become victims of such crimes. Another risk may be overpriced taxi prices if you take a car from the street near airports and train stations.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women traveling alone in Novosibirsk can be safe if they adhere to specific rules: don’t walk around the city late at night, don’t get drunk in bars, don’t wear too defiant clothes, don’t attract attention with jewelry or loud conversations. If you are taking a taxi, always get in the back seat in the car.
So... How Safe Is Novosibirsk Really?
Novosibirsk has an average crime rate.
Most crimes are associated with high levels of bribery and corruption, robberies, insults, vandalism, and drug problems.
While it’s better to stay away from some run-down areas, the overall situation is not bad.
Pervomayskiy region and far-off neighborhoods of Leninskiy and Kirovskiy regions should be avoided at any time.
The safest place is the center (nearby Lenin Square), stay there, and you will be all right.
Sometimes late at night, you can meet drunk people on the street.
Stay away from them to avoid trouble.
Also, do not get drunk in bars – you can easily be robbed if you lose vigilance.
Another piece of advice- avoid groups of beggars that mostly consists of women and children.
Try not to carry precious goods visibly.
It will attract unnecessary attention that may also cause theft or robbery.
Instances of racial attacks, though very few, have been observed in certain places of the city.
Be circumspect when hiring a taxi.
Do not rely on the running taxis though these may seem official.
In general, if you take minimal action for your safety and use common sense, you are unlikely to get into trouble.
If a crime occurs with you, you must immediately contact the police.
Usually, they react quickly to the affairs of foreign citizens.
- Visas - The visa policy of Russia has agreements with scores of countries whose citizens are either exempt from visas or can apply for a visa online (e-visa). Citizens of states without such a deal with Russia must obtain a visa in advance from a Russian diplomatic mission or visa center. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The Russian ruble or rouble is the currency of the Russian Federation. It has a sign: ₽, and code: RUB. The ruble is subdivided into 100 kopeks.
- Weather - The best times to visit Novosibirsk for ideal weather are June to September. Average temperatures in Novosibirsk vary an incredible amount, and the weather feels cold for about half of the year and otherwise nice with a fair chance of precipitation about half of the year.
- Airports - Novosibirsk Tolmachevo Airport is situated in the town of Ob, 16 kilometers west of the center of Novosibirsk. The airport is situated in the middle of the route from some important East-Asian cities to Europe which makes it attractive for cargo airlines to use it for refueling stops.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Novosibirsk Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|