United States : Safety by City
- Baton Rouge
- Colorado Springs
- Corpus Christi
- Des Moines
- El Paso
- Fort Collins
- Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Myers
- Fort Wayne
- Fort Worth
- Grand Rapids
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Little Rock
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles
- New Orleans
- New York City
- Oklahoma City
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Sioux Falls
- St Louis
- St. Petersburg
- Virginia Beach
- Washington DC
People would ask themselves whether Rochester is worth visiting and we can say that you should put it on your list of future destinations.
Rochester is known as The Flower City.
It is the third-largest city in the state of New York, and it boasts a long history of industry and invention.
What tourists find interesting here are over 12,000 acres of parklands here, as well as fun attractions like amusement and water parks ideal for families with children.
Also, they can visit some historically significant monuments like the Vietnam Memorial, the John Dunbar Memorial Pavilion, and Warner Castle.
Warnings & Dangers in Rochester
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In this time of economic distress, many people are concerned about the threat of rising crime and travelers are especially worried when going abroad. Generally speaking, vigilant tourists should not worry too much when in Rochester.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
If you must leave something in the car, you should lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight as seeing something on the car seat might tempt thieves to break into and take it. Use public transport instead of taxis, as it is more affordable.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
When on ATMs, you should withdraw only the amount of cash you need. Pickpockets usually work around the ATMs in poorly lit areas, so avoid taking money there. Stay aware of your surroundings all the time.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
In winter months, Rochester might experience heavy snowfall which might cause snowstorms as well. This can affect driving and flights, so travelers should get informed about the current situation.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Even though in the majority of reports of people being mugged, tourists were not the target. However, they need to take precautionary steps to minimize their chances of being victimized.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Terrorism is frequently happening in the USA these days and each city can be a target. If you happen to be in the middle of a terrorist attack, you should seek cover or, move against an interior wall and protect your head with your arms.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Scammers would do their best to distract your attention with the intention of taking your money or belongings, so do not let them trick you. The best way to do that is to move away from strangers and do not accept anything from them.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Women usually spend their holidays here without any kind of trouble, but they need to have in mind that if they wear expensive jewelry or carry a purse or wallet, it is possible that they become victims.
So... How Safe Is Rochester Really?
Our suggestion for the drivers is not to approach the car alone if he/she notice suspicious people in the area.
If you decide to drive in Rochester, do not stop to offer help on a road and do not drive hitchhikers.
Furthermore, always lock your car after entering or leaving it and park it in well-lighted areas.
When renting a car, make sure you have checked the back seat before entering.
If you have to bring some cash with you, keep it in your front pocket.
Being that there are a large number of pickpockets operating on the street, you should never carry large amounts of cash, but rather use traveler’s checks.
If you must carry large sums of money, do not display it openly and always be aware of your surroundings.
Females are suggested to be extra careful if they carry a wallet or purse, being that these are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, bus stops and on buses.
Prior to your day of sightseeing, all tourists are suggested to obtain direction for the attractions they intend to visit so as not to get lost.
You should never discuss your sightseeing schedule in the presence of strangers.
- Visas - The U.S. Department of State issues visas to foreign nationals who are traveling to the United States through its embassies or consulates. However, if you are coming from the 38 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need a visa for vacation.
- Currency - The U.S. dollar is the official currency in the USA and the most powerful currency in the world. The strength of the U.S. economy supports the dollar's use as a global currency.
- Weather - Those who like pleasant weather when traveling should know that August, July, and June are the most pleasant months in Rochester, while January and February are the least comfortable due to low temperatures and winds.
- Airports - People coming to Rochester should use Rochester International Airport, a primary public airport located 11 km southwest of Rochester.
- Travel Insurance - Missed flights, lost luggage or accidents can destroy your journey. So as to protect your belongings and not pay extremely expensive medical services, you are suggested to get travel insurance before going abroad.