New York : Safety by CityUnited States - safety as a country New York - state review
Albany is the capital of New York and the county seat of Albany County.
Albany is an exciting showcase of several centuries’ worth of architectural styles, including the fashionable Empire State Plaza.
Albany is the most extended, continually chartered city in the United States.
This city is an architectural haven, from historic buildings to newly built high rise skyscrapers to churches and temples, Albany has got it all for architectural buffs out there.
Albany is considered a good place to enjoy a variety of cocktails and alcoholic drinks.
The map of bars here is really impressive.
Warnings & Dangers in Albany
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Albany is a reasonably safe city. Although some areas should be avoided. Be careful, and always watch your surroundings. Also, keep track of your personal belongings and do not leave them unattended. Keep original documents in a safe place.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
In Albany, you can use public transport reasonably safely. However, in the evening it is better to use a taxi. Beware of pickpockets on buses. Use the application on your smartphone to call a cab or take the license number of the taxi service at the reception of your hotel.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are not so common in the city, although in tourist places and public transport you can meet them. You also need to be careful in bars where scammers can quietly steal your handbag while you are distracted by your drink.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Albany is considered a low-risk natural disaster area, but hurricanes, northeastern regions, and cyclones can still have a substantial impact on this area. Heavy rain, strong gusts, and heavy snowfall create these conditions.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of severe robberies and attacks in Albany is low. However, in disadvantaged areas or areas with active drug trafficking, this is likely. Be careful and watch your surroundings. Avoid walking around the city at night.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Terrorists can try to carry out attacks in the Albany region. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. You should monitor media reports and be vigilant at all times. Study the political environment before your trip here.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
The most common fraud in Albany is a telemarketing scam. Fraudsters can call or send SMS to find out your data and data on your credit cards. Be careful not to share this information with strangers.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women can safely travel to Albany if they observe the usual precautions, do not attract unwanted attention with their appearance and behavior and do not walk around the city late at night. To return to the hotel at night, it is better to use a taxi.
So... How Safe Is Albany Really?
Except for minor issues, Albany is considered a safe enough city to live and travel to.
The crime index is low here.
The main problems are related to theft, assaults, and robberies.
There is also a big problem with drug trafficking.
Like many other cities in the region, Albany has overshadowed areas with crime problems.
Use precautions that can be used in any large city. The areas between Washington Avenue and Nova Scotia Ave. are generally safe to walk around, especially east of Lark Street.
However, in recent years there have been several physical attacks on the SUNY Albany campus.
Arbor Hill near Henry Johnson Boulevard is known as one of the most dangerous areas, although it is not of particular interest to travelers.
It is known that random robberies and armed robberies happen by drunken suburban residents on Lark, Madison, and other streets close to bars.
In this city, the usual precautions must be followed.
At night, it is better not to walk alone in remote and dysfunctional areas.
As elsewhere, you must look and be aware of your surroundings.
Be careful with those who ask or offer help.
Always keep track of your personal belongings and do not leave them unattended.
How Does Albany Compare?
|Belize City (Belize)||37|
- Visas - Visitors to the United States must obtain a visa from one of the United States diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa-exempt countries or Visa Waiver Program countries. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The United States dollar is the official currency of the United States. It has a sign: $ and a code: USD. Also, it abbreviated US$. One dollar is divided into 100 cents (Symbol: ¢).
- Weather - The best times to visit Albany for ideal weather are May to October. Average temperatures in Albany vary drastically and the weather feels cold for about half of the year and otherwise nice with a chance of rain or snow throughout most of the year.
- Airports - Albany International Airport is 11 km northwest of Albany, in Albany County, New York, United States. Albany International was the first and remains the oldest, municipal airport in the United States.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.