Turkey : Safety by CityTurkey - safety as a country
Bodrum is the site of the ancient city of Halikarnassus which is one of the reasons why it is on so many travelers’ maps.
It is the location of the famous Mausoleum of Halikarnassus – one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
There are so many popular excursions coming there these days as Bodrum has changed and grown.
Its center is full of restaurants and shops, there is a local market where you can get local fruit and vegetables, as well as traditional Turkish spices and specialties.
Warnings & Dangers in Bodrum
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
In general, we can say that the majority of tourists visit this city without any worries about their safety, but you will need to remain conscious of your surroundings all the time and do not accept any kind of offerings by strangers.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
If you have to drive in Turkey, you should know that drivers do not respect the traffic signs and you have to be extremely careful.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
Tourists need to be aware that street robbery and pick-pocketing are common in the major tourist areas of any city, and Bodrum is not an exception. Be watchful of our belongings.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
There is a possibility of earthquakes and tremors in Bodrum, but the overall danger is not so high.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
There were instances when passports have been stolen from rented villas, even when they have been kept in the villa safe, so you can always be a victim of mugging if you are not careful enough.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Bodrum is not the place where the danger of terrorist attacks is high, but you still need to avoid demonstrations and other gatherings in public places.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Besides the possibility of your drink being spiked in a bar, you have to be wary of strangers approaching you offering food and drink which may be drugged.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Being that this is a male-dominated country, the risk of a woman being attacked is medium. If they are alone, they should not attract too much attention
So... How Safe Is Bodrum Really?
So as to remain safe, travelers are suggested to avoid taking photos of military institutions and officers, as well as other people without permission.
Girls are advised to dress modestly, as this is a male-dominated country and they can easily become a target, especially if they attract attention.
Cases of sexual assault, including rape, were reported, so women should avoid walking alone, especially at night.
In case they notice some strange happenings on the street, they should react wisely and stay away from any demonstrations and other gatherings.
Travelers need to respect their currency, religion, and temples.
Both men and women should never accept a lift from strangers, and should not go with them to any restaurants or bars, due to the possibility of being drugged through drinks and food.
When transport is in question, if you rent a car, pay much attention as driving there is hectic.
If you take a taxi, make sure you take a registered, yellow one.
All in all, we can say that Bodrum is the place to be visited and should be on every person’s travel map, without having to worry more about their safety than in any other city in the world.
- Visas - If you are coming from Britan, you will need a visa to enter Turkey, and you can apply for it online and pay it $35. Tourists from European countries do not need a visa. For longer stayings, more than 90 days, you need to get a visa.
- Currency - You should know that the Turkish Lira is the official currency in Turkey. Travelers are suggested to exchange money only in official exchange offices and banks.
- Weather - The summers in Bodrum are great, with a lot of sunshine ideal for holiday. Bodrum has a mild climate during winter months, with average temperatures around 10 degrees Celsius. There is quite a lot of rainfall in winter.
- Airports - The nearest airport to Bodrum is Milas-Bodrum Airport. Other airports that can be used are Kos Island International Airport and İzmir Adnan Menderes International Airport.
- Travel Insurance - Medical assistance is sometimes needed when we least expect it, so you need to get travel insurance prior to starting your journey, no matter where you travel. It should cover the luggage lost, as well.
Bodrum Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|