Turkey : Safety by CityTurkey - safety as a country
Izmir is a beautiful city located in the west of Turkey and on the Aegean shores.
It is the third-largest city in Turkey which attracts so many tourists with its favorable climate including 300 sunny days a year and an amazing sea.
Furthermore, the city boasts a rich history, as it was home to many different cultures and religions.
Persians, Ancient Greeks, Assyrians, Romans, Byzantines, and Ottomans are different civilizations that lived in the city in the past ages.
If you are ready to discover İzmir, and you are wondering whether it is safe to do that, we are offering you a detailed description of all the possible dangers.
Warnings & Dangers in Izmir
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
When it comes to possible dangers in Izmir, you should stay away from any kind of gatherings on the city's streets and squares. Act as you would anywhere in the world and be careful with your belongings.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Roads between the major cities are in excellent condition, but accidents are quite common due to poor driving. Taxi drivers are also driving recklessly, so you are suggested to avoid them, if possible.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
When in Izmir, you should maintain the same level of personal security awareness as in any other city in the world. Tourists are frequently a target for pickpockets and robbers.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Earthquakes and tremors can frequently happen in Izmir, so you need to be familiar with that possibility and act according to the advice provided by the authorities.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
You can easily become a victim of mugging if you show your passport or money on the street. Be wise and careful and always aware of your surroundings.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Izmir is a city where terrorist attacks have taken place and it is suggested that tourists pay special attention when they notice something strange happening and avoid being on the street at that moment.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
There is a possibility of being scammed in Izmir. You should watch what you drink and never accept the offerings of strangers.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Izmir is full of tourists and the instances of crime against women are not so frequent, even though it cannot be said that they never happen.
So... How Safe Is Izmir Really?
One thing that makes this city different is that almost half of its population of 4 million are under the age of 30, so making it lively and active.
Being that young people always look for entertainment, tourists would be able to visit many restaurants and bars in Izmir, but our suggestion is to never accept drinks and food from strangers, nor to go with them to restaurants.
There were reports of spiked food and drinks, even though very rarely it has been responsible for the death of some tourists.
In case of any natural disaster happening at the moment you are visiting the city, you should seek advice from your tour operator or the Turkish authorities and act accordingly.
Considering the fact that terrorists are very likely to try to attack public places in Turkey, people are somehow afraid of visiting this beautiful country.
However, the security of both citizens and tourists of Izmir is on the highest level and in case of any danger, the authorities will do their best to protect the people.
All in all, Izmir is just like any other city in the world and travelers should remain precautious so as to stay out of trouble and enjoy their stay.
- Visas - Visas are obligatory for British citizens, while people from European countries need to obtain a visa only if they are staying for a longer period of time.
- Currency - The official currency in Turkey is the Turkish Lira. There is a great number of ATMs in Izmir so you do not need to worry about getting the money there.
- Weather - The weather conditions are great in Izmir. The summers are hot and clear while the winters are long, cold, wet, windy, and partly cloudy, but the temperature does not fall below 0 degrees Celsius.
- Airports - If you want to travel to Izmir by plane, you should use İzmir Adnan Menderes Airport, which is an international airport serving not only Izmir but also al the other province surrounding it.
- Travel Insurance - Travel insurance is a must wherever in the world you are traveling. You need to take it out prior to coming to any country, and it should cover luggage lost, missed flight and any other unexpected issues.
Izmir Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|