Turkey : Safety by CityTurkey - safety as a country
Alanya is one of the most popular Turkish family resorts.
You can safely spend your summer holidays here as it has to offer a number of interesting entertainments, besides beaches, and beautiful nature available here for guests with children.
Both adults and children can enjoy outdoor tourist activities including windsurfing, parasailing, and banana boating or visit Europe’s largest waterpark, Sealanya.
Alanya is a very attractive destination during the hunting season when tourists come for wild goat, pig and partridge hunting.
Warnings & Dangers in Alanya
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Being that Alanya is a holiday destination, it can be said that it is quite safe for tourists. The risk of being robbed on the beach exists, as well as the constant risk of the terrorist attacks.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : HIGH
You are also suggested to avoid driving if possible, as Turks do not respect traffic signs and driving is hectic there.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
You should remain careful when your valuables are in question, and always keep an eye on them, especially on the beach. Generally, crime levels are lower in a holiday destination, but there were some instances reported.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Before coming to Turkey, you should get familiar with the possible natural disasters that may happen in that particular area. Many parts of Turkey are prone to earthquakes and tremors.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
The possibility of being mugged in Alanya is medium, so it is important not to take too much money with you and avoid showing expensive gadgets on the street.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
When Alanya is in question, there is not such a high risk of terrorist attacks, being that it is a popular tourist destination. Still, nobody can predict where it can happen.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
If you decide to visit some of Alanya's bars, you should have in mind that drinks served there are often very strong and that you must keep sight of them at all times so they are not spiked.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
So as to remain safe in Turkey, women should dress modestly, especially if they are visiting a mosque or a religious shrine. If you attract much attention, you might not avoid getting in trouble.
So... How Safe Is Alanya Really?
There is a great risk of the terrorist attacks in the whole country and previous methods of attack have included armed assaults, suicide bombings, car bombings or explosive devices left in crowded areas full of both tourists and citizens and on public transport.
Each traveler needs to be vigilant, watch the news and police reports so as not to get into trouble in Alanya.
The places where terrorists can attack cannot be predicted and each city can be a target.
Besides terrorism, there is a heightened threat of kidnapping against UK interests and British nationals, which is usually done by groups or individuals.
So as to stay out of trouble, it is suggested that you avoid taking photographs near military or official installations and should not photograph people without their permission.
Another thing that you as tourist should know in order to avoid doing that and not to be punished is that it is an offense to insult the Turkish nation, the national flag, or to tear up their currency.
You are also suggested to take care when traveling by road throughout Turkey, particularly at night.
If you drive in Turkey, you must have an International Driving Permit and do not try driving without it as the fines are quite high.
How Does Alanya Compare?
|La Paz (Bolivia)||52|
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)||45|
|Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||43|
- Visas - British nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, and they can apply online to get it. Tourists from European countries do not need a visa, but their passport should be valid for at least 6 months from the date they enter Turkey.
- Currency - The official currency in Turkey is the Turkish Lira. You can find a lot of ATMs in major cities and tourist areas and Alanya is one of them.
- Weather - Weather conditions in Alanya are ideal for people looking for summer relaxation on the beach. Winters are mild with temperatures almost never going below 0 degrees Celsius.
- Airports - You can get to Alanya by Gazipaşa-Alanya Airport which has regular flights from Istanbul with Bora Jet. Another option is Antalya İnternational Airport which is 120km away from Alanya.
- Travel Insurance - Numerous instances of emergency situations occur during the summer holiday period in coastal tourist areas so all tourists are suggested to get travel insurance before coming to Alanya.
Alanya Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|