United States : Safety by City
- Baton Rouge
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Little Rock
- Los Angeles
- New Orleans
- New York City
- Oklahoma City
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- St Louis
- Washington DC
In the majority of cases when people visit any place as tourists, they are worried about their welfare there.
So they read travel guides and forums to get familiar with the situation in the city they are going to.
Knoxville is the city definitely worth visiting, as there are old, historic buildings with a story to tell and there is plenty of stuff to do.
Exploring the city and surrounds can last for many days and every traveler is suggested to visit the Knoxville Farmer’s Market.
If this is your future destination, do not worry too much about possible risks, but start packing your suitcases.
Warnings & Dangers in Knoxville
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Knoxville is a city with a medium risk of getting into trouble. Actually, as long as a tourist is aware of his/her surroundings and pay attention to his/her belongings, the journey will pass trouble-free.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Before renting a car there, it is important to check the driving rules, being that some states may require an International Driving Permit (IDP). Taking a means of public transport is more affordable than paying a taxi.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are present everywhere, even in the least dangerous cities. Petty crimes usually happen in places crowded by people and in front of tourist attractions.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
When it comes to natural disasters, there is a possibility of hurricane seasons, as well as floods during the heavy rainfall. Forest fires are also a common occurrence there.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Violent crimes are not frequent in Knoxville, but it cannot be said that they do not happen. Actually, the main goal of a mugger is to get your valuables and passport, so remain conscious of your surroundings.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
There is a constant threat of terrorist attacks in the USA. Authorities are more focused on getting familiar with the terrorists' future intentions, but the time and place of attacks cannot be predicted.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
The reason why some strangers might offer you a drink or food is to drug you so that they can rob you. Be conscious of that and avoid getting trapped.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
If we take into consideration that the overall safety score is quite high, we can just say that females will remain safe there, but only if they remain vigilant and do not put themselves into some risky situations.
So... How Safe Is Knoxville Really?
Knoxville has one of the highest crime rates in America and there is a chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime there.
Robberies at gunpoint are known to happen, and in order to stay away from them, you are advised to get familiar with the dangerous areas of the city and avoid going there, especially at night.
So if you must travel through these areas, make sure to do so during the day and remain in a group, or go by car and do not stop to ask for directions.
However, visitors to the city should know that Knoxville is generally safe outside these few areas, and if they happen to be a victim of petty crime, it is usually due to their carelessness.
Knoxville has problems, just like any other large city, and petty crimes happen almost daily, but if you keep an eye on your belongings, you would stay trouble-free.
Generally speaking, if you stay aware of your surroundings, you will be able to perform everyday activities in Knoxville without worrying about your safety.
- Visas - Traveling to Knoxville requires that you get the visa or the ESTA, which allows approved applicants to travel to the USA for up to 90 days for the purpose of tourism.
- Currency - The official currency of the United States is the United States dollar (USD), one of the most powerful currencies in the world and you should get familiar with the exchange rates prior to exchanging your money.
- Weather - Knoxville has a warm and temperate climate, combined with significant rainfall in autumn and winter. Even in the driest month, there is a lot of rain. The average annual temperature is 14°C.
- Airports - Knoxville Downtown Island Airport often referred to as Island Home Airport, is an airport located approximately one-half mile east of downtown Knoxville.
- Travel Insurance - A journey to other countries can sometimes be challenging, meaning that you can get into a situation when you need medical help. You are suggested to bring travel insurance with you as looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important.
Knoxville Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|