Oulu is the fourth largest city of Finland located in the region of North Ostrobothnia, Finland on the shores of Bay of Bothnia.
It is believed to be an urban getaway that has a stunning nature and is the meeting point between the Northen part of the country and Southern one through business and technology.
When in Oulu you will find out how much nature and outdoor activities play in the cultural life of the city and locals.
Warnings & Dangers in Oulu
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Overall it can be claimed that it is a safe destination for tourists if all precautions measures will be taken into account and choose wisely your accommodation.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Transport infrastructure is very developed in the city and as a result, traveling facilities are available everywhere and are claimed to be very safe. Also, the same is believed to be true about the taxi services offered.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are often met here and therefore it is advisable to keep a close look at your belongings especially on your documents and try if possible not to care all you have with you but instead store them in a safe place.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
There are no considerable natural disaster risks that can somehow affect you negatively.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
There is an increasing number of violent crimes in the city, meaning that in order for you to avoid such unpleasant cases you should opt for not walking alone at night is not so populated places and take all measures to safeguard your possessions as well as yourself.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Terrorist attacks happening in the city can not be ruled out and the only solution to this would be to follow the advice of public authorities. These will take care of you and diminish as much as possible the negative effect it can have on you.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
There are scammers in the city but these could be easily avoided through using your common sense and not being easily influenced. If you feel the pressure from a person regarding a decision report it immediately and get rid of that person as soon as possible.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
This is definitely a safe place for solo traveling women and only if taken into account all precautions measures and not walk alone in the dark part of the day and not so safe part of the cities.
So... How Safe Is Oulu Really?
Overall it is a safe destination for you as a tourist from almost all perspectives, but it is advisable to take all measures in order to preserve your safety and security.
In recent years with the development of tourism in the city the cases of robberies, thefts, and crime, in general, have increased, which means that you as a tourist should choose wisely your accommodation which will ensure your safety.
Be aware of a big gang of pickpockets that operate in the most populated areas of the city and keep a close look at your belongings, especially your documents.
Also, it is recommended to always have a mobile phone from which in case of emergency you will be able to call as well as have a list of numbers.
Even if it is claimed to be relatively safe there are some neighborhoods that are advisable especially by night to not be visited however, during the day these could be and are recommended to be visited.
These one could be easily found at the tourist information point together with a lot of more interesting and important updates related to tours, guides, experiences of any kind as well as the must-see and do of the city which will ensure you a safe and great trip.
Taking everything into account and following all the above-mentioned pieces of advice you will be able to safely enjoy your trip.
- Visas - It depends on your citizenship whether you need a visa or not, but all the required information is clearly provided by the web-site of the public authorities.
- Currency - The local currency is the Euro, which is the widely used currency in almost all European countries.
- Weather - The climate of the city is considered to be cold and temperate with significant rainfall throughout the year in Oulu. Also, what is interesting to notice is that it is the biggest Finish are as well as the world's largest entirely located in this zone whose features are mainly cold and snowy winters with short and warm summers.
- Airports - Oulu Airport is the second busiest airport in Finland that operates a wide range of flights and it is as well extensively used by the Finnish Air Force for training purposes.
- Travel Insurance - As it is always recommended to have travel insurance while traveling, no matter the destination, therefore, Oulu is not an exception.
Oulu Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|