Canada : Safety by City
- Niagara Falls
- Quebec City
Kelowna is the largest city in the Okanagan region, located in British Columbia, Canada.
The city of Kelowna is a favorite vacation spot year-round thanks to its world-class vineyards, great weather, food scene, beaches, and even a couple of ski hills.
While Kelowna wine tours are undoubtedly the main draw for most visitors, there are plenty of other great attractions to check out.
Travelers come here to see the Downtown City Park, enjoy the half-submerged playground at Gyro Beach, and do ski and snowboard at Big White and Silver Star resorts and swimming at many sand beaches great beaches.
Warnings & Dangers in Kelowna
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Kelowna is safe for tourists. However, it is worth following specific safety measures to avoid troubles. You should not appear late at night in some areas of the city and never get involved with drug dealers. You also always need to keep track of your personal belongings.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Public transportation is entirely safe. You can use it to move around the city. Be careful only in areas remote from the city center. It is preferable to take a taxi if you return late at night to your hotel. Use only official taxi services.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
As in almost any city, you can meet pickpockets in Kelowna. Most often, they operate in tourist places and crowded public transport. Also, be careful not to leave personal items and valuables in your car.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
In the Kelowna region, floods, forest fires, and landslides are some of the most common natural hazards. It occurs not so often, but you should be aware. Do a bit of research before your visit to the city.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
The risk of severe robberies in the city exists only against the background of drug trafficking. Sometimes criminals are ready to do anything to find the money for a new dose. The police in the city work quickly, so if something happened to you, immediately contact the station.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Canada's current level is Medium, meaning that a violent act of terrorism could occur. There were no cases of terrorism in Kelowna; however, travelers should always be on the alert about this danger.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Kelowna fraud is mainly related to the Internet and SMS mailing. They rarely affect tourists, but you should be aware that this is happening. Never give out your data and your card details to open online sources.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Usually, for women traveling alone, there is no problem in Kelowna. They are unlikely to attract unwanted attention from local men. However, it is always worthwhile to have common sense and remember the usual security measures.
So... How Safe Is Kelowna Really?
Kelowna is considered a reasonably safe city.
The crime rate here is lower than in the cities of the region.
However, there is a reasonably high crime rate associated with drug trafficking and drug use.
In this regard, vandalism and minor robberies also occur.
Avoid the area of Leon & Lawrence Avenues between Water and Ellis during nighttime.
City Park at night is patrolled. However, it can be somewhat unsafe after hours too.
In Kelowna in summer, there is a threat of fires; therefore, in parks, there is a ban on making fires.
There are several drug cartels in the city, and the police are fighting them.
If you were attacked with the purpose of robbery – give the criminals everything that is required of you and then contact the nearest police station.
Never mess with drugs – in Canada, they are illegal, and you can get into big trouble with them.
The people here are friendly and always ready to help.
However, you should not leave your things unattended, close the car when leave and do not leave valuables in it.
You can safely travel around the city if you always know what is happening around you
How Does Kelowna Compare?
|Belize City (Belize)||37|
|La Paz (Bolivia)||52|
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)||45|
- Visas - A visa to enter Canada for tourists that stay less than 180 days is not obligatory for certain nationalities and that can be checked online. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The official currency in Canada is the Canadian dollar(It is often called "loonie"). The Canadian dollar has a symbol: $ and code: CAD. It is divided into 100 cents.
- Weather - The best times to visit Kelowna for ideal weather are June to mid-September. Average temperatures in Kelowna vary drastically, and the weather feels cold for about half of the year and otherwise excellent with a meager chance of rain or snow throughout the year.
- Airports - Kelowna International Airport is a Canadian airport located approximately 11 km northeast of Kelowna. Key destinations from the airport are Pacific Northwest (the United States and Canada), Western Canada, Northern Canada, Toronto as well as seasonal connections to the Southwestern United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Kelowna Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|