Barbados : Safety by City
Barbados is an independent island country of the Lesser Antilles located in the Carribean region of North America.
Their culture is considered to be a mixture of African and British influences, but what is surprising to find out is that even though their official language is English they have their specific dialect – Bajan, which is a combination of languages born as a result of different inhabitants of the island.
Even though some words will be hard for you to understand, the citizens are very welcoming and there are a lot of festivals and parties where you can easily interact with them.
Warnings & Dangers in Barbados
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Generally, Barbados is considered to be a safe place for tourists, but still, as in all other locations, there are chances for unpleasant events. In order for them to not happen, it is very important to take all the precaution measures to ensure personal safety and dimish the chances of negative outcomes.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
The taxi companies offer a wide range of services that can be provided to their customers and are considered to be quite safe if all the precautions are respected. Besides taxi, there are a lot of other more affordable means of transportation that can be used and became more frequently used by tourists.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
There are some registered cases, not a lot but there are some which means that even if it is believed to be a safe place we should not be careless and forget about all the safety measures that should be taken while traveling in the country.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Barbados most of the times are not affected by the disaster caused in the tropical areas and usually get hit by them but in a more moderate way, meaning that they get only moderate winds and rainfall. Earthquakes are more likely to take places this is why it is advisable to know the emergency plan of the location you will be staying in.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
As in almost all places in the world, crime is present in Barbados as well, but it is well-known that travelers are rarely victims of these cases as they enjoy better security than even locals. As a piece of advice, it will serve the idea that you should avoid dark places, walking alone and look very expensive.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
There is no historical data of any terrorist attack happening on Barbados, but still, there is always a chance for this to take as this could be motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Even though there are scammers but these cases could be easily avoided through using common sense and trying not to be easily influenced.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women are more than welcomed on Barbados, but all the precaution measures should be taken in order to avoid any unpleasant cases that can occur if you get yourself into trouble.
So... How Safe Is Barbados Really?
Even if it is believed to be a safe place from almost all aspects encountered, Barbados is also known for its parties and nightlife which means that there are always chances of getting into trouble.
What is great to notice is that public authorities are spread all over the touristic areas as well as risky places, in order to prevent all the crimes.
This does not mean that you should not take care of yourself and your belongings but instead be more attentive to enjoy the trip to the fullest.
- Visas - It differs from nationality to nationality whether you need a visa or not, but all the required information is clearly provided by the web-site of the public authorities.
- Currency - The locally used currency is considered to be Barbados Dollar, but the US dollar is widely accepted as well on the islands. There is a fixed exchange rate set between these two currencies and mainly that $1.00 Barbados dollar is equal to $0.5 US dollar.
- Weather - Barbados have a tropical climate which means that it is hot and humid all over the year, but a little bit cooler from December to April and more hot from May to October even though the temperature does not vary considerably throughout the year.
- Airports - Grantley Adams International Airport is the international airport of Barbados and operates mainly as the biggest gate to the Eastern Carribean which mainly operates flights to the United States, Canada, Central America, and Europe.
- Travel Insurance - As it is always recommended to have travel insurance while traveling, no matter the destination Barbados is not an exception as this will not only cover your health-related expenditures but also all other costs incurred in case of emergency.
Barbados Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|