Connecticut : Safety by City
- East Hartford
- New Haven
- New London
- Old Saybrook
- West Hartford
- Windsor Locks
If you are thinking about visiting Hartford, you should go for it even though it is a city on the list of most dangerous ones in the United States.
Hartford is home to the Wadsworth Atheneum, Old State House, State Capital & Legislative Office Building, Mark Twain House, Harriet Beecher Stowe Center, Butler McCook House and Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts and these are just a few of the must-see sights of Hartford.
Maintaining your welfare is important wherever you go and taking safety precautions is essential.
As long as you act wisely and remain vigilant there is no reason why you should not visit even the most dangerous city on the list.
Warnings & Dangers in Hartford
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Even though most travelers come back to their countries without any kind of trouble experienced, you are suggested to be very vigilant during your stay.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Tourists who have rented the car should never sleep in the car by the roadside or in rest areas. You are suggested not to drive there, but if you have to, try to stay on the main roads and use well-lit car parks.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
So as to remain safe and bring all your belongings back to your country, you need to avoid all crowds, demonstrations or large gatherings in the city.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Hartford sometimes has troubles with snowstorms and it is prone to earthquakes. When the weather is too hot winds can cause fires to spread and areas of high risk are canyons, hills, and forests.
MUGGING RISK : HIGH
Being that Hartford is having the title of one the most dangerous cities in America you need to be very careful when coming here. The good news is that there is a decrease in the overall violent crime rate.
TERRORISM RISK : HIGH
Terrorist attacks are usually done by individuals who may have been inspired by terrorist ideology. These attacks always target public events or places. Attacks could take place with little or no notice, so you need to monitor the media and get familiar with the current situation.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
People have reported being scammed by taxi drivers who overcharged them for certain rides, as well as being traped by people who seemed quite pleasant and offered them drinks.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Generally, there were some instances of women being attacked, but the number of them can be neglected. In the majority of cases, females spend their vacations trouble-free as long as they act wisely.
So... How Safe Is Hartford Really?
Hartford continues to be one of the least safe cities in the United States.
Hartford’s visitors should know that there are daylight robberies in the supposedly safe part of the city and that people have reported attacks downtown, but if you remain vigilant you will probably be fine.
If you decided to drive there, you have to bear in mind that traffic laws vary from state to state.
So, you are suggested to check the driving rules in the state you are visiting, being that some states may require an International Driving Permit (IDP).
When visiting public venues, such as theme parks and other tourist attractions, you should know that safety rules may vary, and act accordingly.
Most of the crime in Hartford is centered around a few specific areas known for being unsafe, and one of them is the Northern end.
You should get informed about them and if you avoid them, you will be fine.
Even though most visits are trouble-free, you are suggested to be very vigilant during your stay and to take out travel and medical insurance before you travel.
How Does Hartford Compare?
|New York City||67|
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - The authorities require that all tourists must possess either a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter the country. Your passport needs to be valid during your stay.
- Currency - While in the USA, tourists will have to use American Dollars and they have to know that exchanging the money should be done only in licensed exchange offices and banks.
- Weather - The climate in Hartford is cold and temperate with a great deal of rainfall. July is the warmest month, while the lowest average temperatures in the year occur in January.
- Airports - There are a few private heliports in Hartford, but travelers should land on Bradley International Airport, which is both a civil and military airport in Windsor Locks, operated by the Connecticut Airport Authority.
- Travel Insurance - Considering the fact that medical treatments are quite expensive in the USA, all travelers are suggested to get travel insurance prior to start their journey.
Hartford Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|