Bermuda is a self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom located in the North Atlantic Ocean east of Cape Hatteras, which is composed of 7 main islands and many more rocks and islets.
More than half of the population is of African provenance, while the other one is constituted of British, American, and Portuguese people and this explains why the official language is English while they also speak some Portuguese.
The main economic growth factor that makes the island move only up can be considered the financial sector and tourism due to its famous pink sand beaches and fabulous shores.
Warnings & Dangers in Bermuda
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Almost all the risks that can somehow affect you are related to the beach and mainly the so-called Portuguese Man of War that looks like a jellyfish but its bite is not fatal and rip currents.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
You should be very attentive as all the taxi drivers of Bermuda are self-employed, meaning that they are not regulated by a company and as a result not very safe, but it is also advisable to take a taxi for night walks from airports as other means of transportation can not be found at that time.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
Pickpockets are often met here as it is a touristic destination and as a result, there are some registered cases by the public authorities, which should make you more attentive and have a closer look at your belongings.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
The hurricane season in Bermuda is considered to be from June until November when it is also advisable to follow all the indications of the public authorities as well as the National Hurricane Center's advice.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
There are few cases of mugging that are registered on the island that have somehow affected tourists, but still, this does not mean that you should be fearless. A good piece of advice would be to not walk alone and be very attentive in order to avoid any unpleasant situation that can occur.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Even though there are no historical data related to the recent terrorist attacks, there is always a chance of that happening due to some conflicts of interest with other countries. This is why it is advisable to look at your surroundings and staying safe.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
As everywhere in the world there are scammers on the islands but these could be easily avoided through using your common sense and trying not to be easily influenced.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Overall it is considered to be a safe place for all travelers but it is still advisable for females as it is everywhere in the world not to travel alone. If this is happening then choose wisely your accommodation, do not try to look very expensive and always tell someone where are you going.
So... How Safe Is Bermuda Really?
Even if Bermuda is not one of the most famous and visited places in the world, it has its special beauty as well as factors that should be taken into account while traveling in order to enjoy your holiday.
Even though there are some registered criminal cases it is well-known that very rarely this implies tourists, but this does not mean that you should be fearless.
Keep in mind all pieces of advice and you will be more than safe in Bermuda.
How Does Bermuda Compare?
- Visas - What is interesting to notice is that British passport holders do not need a visa for entering Bermuda as a visitor, while others should get specifically informed depending on their nationality on the website of the British Embassy.
- Currency - The locally used currency is considered to be Bermuda Dollar, but the US dollar is widely accepted as well on the islands.
- Weather - Bermuda has a very mild climate, which means that there are quite abundant annual precipitations and quite a big difference in temperature between seasons.
- Airports - Bermuda International Airport is the main international airport in Bermuda that operates flights to the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Travel Insurance - At least 8 weeks before traveling check the national site of the island in order to be aware of all the updates made related to the travel insurance. But also keep in mind that it is always recommended to have travel insurance while traveling, no matter the destination and Bermuda is not an exception.
Bermuda Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|