The Cayman Islands is considered to be an overseas territory of the United Kingdom which is located in the Western Carribean Sea, south of Cuba and northwest of Jamaica that is composed of three islands – Grand Cayman Little Cayman, and Cayman Brac.
Even if the islands have historic and political dependence upon the United Kingdom and one-fifth of the population is mainly of British provenience, the lifestyle, as well as culture, is closer to the American one.
It is often claimed that this territory is a haven for tourists due to both its natural beauty and favorable climate for diving and chilling on its clean shores.
The foreign investment in the banking system and tourism made islands to further develop and become one of the preferred attraction for Americans as well as hundreds of other tourists.
Warnings & Dangers in Cayman Islands
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Overall the Cayman Islands are considered to be safe for tourists as there is little criminal activity that could somehow affect tourists. Even though, public authorities advise all the tourists to keep an eye on their personal belongings as well as always keep their doors and windows locked in order to avoid any cases of robberies.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
You will not be using taxi services very often, but still, it is better to get a phone number of the person who drove you once if the delivered service was good enough than always to be looking for another one. Also, what is really interesting is that the prices are set by the government, so in this case, you are not at risk to be fooled.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are often met here as it is believed to be a relatively expensive touristic destination, but the police are currently fighting with this. Still, this does not mean that you should be careless, but instead, this is a nudge to be more attentive.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
The is a well-known hurricane season in the are which is believed to be from June to November. If you are planning to go in this period on one of the islands do take into account all the evacuation orders and the advice of the local authorities. Also, there are earthquakes often registered in previous years, but these were harmless.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
There are really few cases of mugging that are well-known to the public authorities, but still, this does not mean that we should be fearless. Do not walk alone in dark and not populated places in order to avoid any cases of violence.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Even if there is no historic data of any terrorist attack happening on the islands, there is still a chance for this to take place as this could be motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
There are scammers on the islands but these could be easily avoided through using your common sense and not being easily influenced.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
As it is considered to be a safe place for all travelers, no differentiation between sexes needs to be done, but it is still advisable for females as it is everywhere in the world not to travel alone. If this is happening then try to make friends and tell them about your plans in order for them to know if something had happened.
So... How Safe Is Cayman Islands Really?
Even though there are records of robberies, it is more than safe to travel to the islands, since there is a lot of police protection provided to travelers.
Just as always while travelling keep in mind to take care of your belongings and do not walk alone in not so populated or dark places.
It is claimed that there is always a chance of terrorist attacks on the islands, but there is rigorous control of the people who are getting on the islands.
Political and Economic situation of the territory is more than stable, which means that public forces are well-functioning structures of the state and could take care of their citizens as well as of their tourists.
This makes the island a safe place from all points of view for all its inhabitants.
How Does Cayman Islands Compare?
- Visas - It depends on nationality to nationality whether you need a visa or not, but all the required information is clearly provided by the web-site of the public authorities.
- Currency - The locally used currency is considered to be Cayman Islands Dollar, but the US dollar is widely accepted as well on the islands. There is a fixed exchange rate set between these two currencies and mainly that $1.00 CI dollar is equal to $1.25 US dollar. Also, keep in mind that all transactions made not by using a domestic card will be charged in US $.
- Weather - The best period for visiting the islands with a low amount of precipitation and wind as well as with high enough temperature for sunbathing and lying on the shore is considered to be from March until November.
- Airports - Owen Roberts International Airport is the main international airport of the Cayman Islands as well as the main base of the Cayman Airways.
- Travel Insurance - As it is always recommended to have travel insurance while traveling, no matter the destination the Cayman Islands is not an exception as this will not only cover your health-related expenditures but also all other costs incurred in case of emergency.
Cayman Islands Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|