Japan : Safety by CityJapan - safety as a country
Sendai is the biggest city in the Tohoku part of Honshu Island in Japan.
Some of the things you must see in Sendai are tourist attractions such as observation towers, museums, and galleries.
However, the city also boasts some more traditional places to visit such as mausoleums of famous families and the ruins of its ancient castle.
The most famous of the events happening in Sendai is a Japanese star festival.
Sendai is also known as being the origin of several different Japanese food dishes which every tourist should try.
Warnings & Dangers in Sendai
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Unlike some major cities, which are considered as higher risk areas for crime, in particular at night, Sendai is a city where that is not the case. Petty crime acts are possible to happen, while more serious crime is not against tourists.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Those who prefer driving should be careful when parking and returning to the car and should always travel in well-lit and populated areas. Public transport is the safest means of travel in Sendai.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
No one can guarantee the security of ATM customers, being that pickpockets tend to observe those locations, follow the customer and attack when he/she is the most vulnerable. Therefore, it is necessary for ATM customers to consider the environment around each ATM.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : HIGH
When natural disasters are in question, there is a risk of earthquakes, tremors, and tsunamis in Japan. There is even a mobile phone application that informs you about the possible dangers.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
When mugging and other violent crimes are in question, you need to know what is going on around you all the time, being that criminals tend to avoid people who have this type of conduct. If you happen to be attacked, it is wiser to give them what they want than to resist.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
There is a low risk of terrorist attacks to happen in Japan, but still, the threat exists globally and travelers should be attentive in case there are possible unusual happenings around them.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
People who are not watchful enough or who do not show confidence on the street are the main targets of scammers. Actually, they might try to distract your attention or spike your drinks so as to rob you.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
You need to walk with confidence and as if you know where you are going even though you are lost. Avoid being alone outside at night, even though Sendai is considered a safe place for solo female travelers.
So... How Safe Is Sendai Really?
Criminals are very wise and intelligent people who would select their victims and targets, focusing on them being unaware or unprepared.
Also, they pick the environmental conditions that increase the opportunity to successfully complete their crime.
However, there are a number of things you can do to increase your personal security and reduce your risk of becoming a crime victim.
When taking money from ATMs, you need to watch for suspicious persons or activity around it and if you notice someone sitting in a parked car in close proximity to or at a distance from the ATM location, you should not take the money, but go away from there.
You must give the appearance that you are totally aware of your surroundings.
Generally speaking, there is no need to worry too much about your safety in Sendai.
It is a city in which violent crime happens rarely and if it happens, it is not against tourists.
Females are free to walk alone, and their journey is in most cases trouble-free.
However, being at least a little alert and vigilant is suggested wherever in the world you go.
- Visas - Each country determines its entry requirements, and when we speak about Japan, we can say that a passport is enough for entrance if your journey is less than 90 days long.
- Currency - You can find places where you can get the money on every step being that Japanese post offices, 7-Eleven stores, and JP Post Bank have cash machines, which will accept some foreign cards.
- Weather - In Sendai, the climate is temperate humid, characterized by winters which are cool and relatively dry and warm, rainy summers. In summer, average temperatures are not too high.
- Airports - The airport on which travelers might land when coming to Sendai is the Sendai Airport, an international airport located in the city of Natori, Miyagi. The airport is 13.6 km away from Sendai.
- Travel Insurance - In case of emergency, you should know that medical facilities in Japan are good, but the cost of treatment is high, so that is the moment when travel insurance comes into play.
Sendai Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|