Japan : Safety by CityJapan - safety as a country
Yokohama is Japan’s second-largest city with a population of over three million. It is half an hour away from Tokyo by train and is easily accessible, so many tourists that come to Tokyo decide to visit this amazing place.
Yokohama transformed from a small fishing village into one of Japan’s major cities and nowadays has to offer numerous attractions.
Tourists should not miss visiting the Marine & Walk Yokohama mall, Sankeien, a spacious Japanese style garden where they can see a number of historic buildings and Yokohama’s vibrant Chinatown.
Warnings & Dangers in Yokohama
OVERALL RISK : LOW
Yokohama is a safe place for travelers and even solo females can enjoy their holiday in this amazing city. Vigilant people would not experience any kind of trouble here.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
Driving there is joyful, being that the road conditions are excellent. However, you must not leave any possessions in a car, especially not money and passports. Use public transport as it is the safest way of traveling.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
When pickpockets are in question, you should know that they work around ATMs and if f you notice anything strange, you should leave that place and return some other time. Be watchful of your belongings in crowded places.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : HIGH
Besides the earthquakes which are typical for Japan, the southern parts of the country are prone to the tropical cyclone or typhoon. This season runs from June to December and the country is particularly at risk.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Yokohama is not a city where travelers experience violent crime, even though there were some instances. So as to prevent being attacked, do not go to poorly lit and deserted places of the city.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Terrorism is not something Yokohama visitors should worry about. Generally, Japan is not the country that has experienced terrorism, but these attacks cannot be predicted.
SCAMS RISK : MEDIUM
Be aware that scammers are ready to do the drink spiking or deliberately give you drinks with much higher levels of alcohol so that your attention is not on the highest level and that they can take your possessions.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Just as the majority of Japan's cities, Yokohama is a female-friendly city where women can walk alone and discover the cities beauties. Being alert is always suggested no matter how safe the city is.
So... How Safe Is Yokohama Really?
The muggers usually want to take your belongings or would force you to withdraw the money from ATMs to give it to them.
You should not resist in this case, as your life is more valuable than your possessions.
In the majority of cases when the victim resisted, it led to more serious consequences.
For those who decide to drive their own car or to rent it, it is important to mention that the best prevention from crime is to roll up windows and lock all doors when leaving the car in the car park and to always park in well-lit areas.
Also, it is crucial to hide all valuables out of view due to the fact that if they can be seen from outside the vehicle, they can attract thieves.
Distracted travelers are frequent victims of petty crime, so you are suggested to keep an eye on your belongings all the time and to be watchful of your surroundings.
If you are vigilant, you can notice something suspicious happening around you or whether someone is following you, so you can prevent becoming a victim by switching direction, crossing the street or entering an open store or restaurant.
- Visas - Tourists do not need to obtain a visa when going to Japan in case of short stays, which are 90 days or less. If you plan to stay longer, you will have to get a visa.
- Currency - If you want to take the money, you should know that cash machines at banks and post offices close at 9 pm or even earlier. Also, they might not operate at the weekends or on national holidays.
- Weather - In Yokohama, the climate is temperate. This means that it has mild, sunny winters and hot, humid and rainy summers. In the summer, the highest temperature is around 35 °C.
- Airports - Airports near Yokohama which traveler can use when coming there are Tokyo Haneda International Airport and Narita International Airport in Tokyo, as well as Oshima Airport in Izu Oshima or Hyakuri Airport in Omitama.
- Travel Insurance - Hospitals and clinics in Japan are well equipped and staff highly trained, but their services are quite expensive for foreigners, so make sure you have travel insurance before starting your journey.
Yokohama Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|