Japan : Safety by CityJapan - safety as a country
Hiroshima has recovered from the bombing and became a modern city where international conferences regarding nuclear power are held and which has to offer some incredible tourist attractions.
You should not miss the Atomic Bomb Dome which is the most associated symbol of Hiroshima.
Nothing was touched and it has remained exactly the same as it was all those years ago.
You should also go to Miyajima Island which is known for its beautiful green forests and a myriad of temples preserved from ancient times, as well as Buddhist temples.
Warnings & Dangers in Hiroshima
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Generally, it is neither completely safe nor too dangerous to walk the streets of Hiroshima. However, make sure you have adequate travel health insurance to cover the cost of any medical treatment in case you need it.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
If you decide to drive, you must carry your driving license with you at all times. You can expect very good road conditions and be careful with taxi drivers who tend to stop unexpectedly at once.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
There are instances of people being victims of pickpockets and you need to be careful when taking money from ATMs or exchanging it in banks and exchange offices.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : HIGH
Considering the fact that Japan is in a major earthquake zone, there is a huge possibility that the earthquake happens while you are there. What you need to do is to get familiar with safety procedures in the event of an earthquake.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
The cases of violent crimes tend to happen in Hiroshima, but not so often. Travelers are not the victims of these criminal acts, but the threat always exists.
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
Japan is not a country where terrorist attacks are known to happen, but that can never be ruled out. You should be aware of the global risk of terrorist attacks.
SCAMS RISK : HIGH
One of the possible scams in Hiroshima are thieves who would try to distract your attention in all the ways, such as asking you for directions, trying to arrest you dresses like the police or beg you for money.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
When we speak about female safety in Hiroshima, we can say that women can freely walk the streets and that personal attacks, including sexual assault and rape, are rare. However, they do happen, so women should avoid walking alone at night.
So... How Safe Is Hiroshima Really?
Being that Japan is the country where you would have to pay in cash, those who want to get the money can do that at ATMs in convenience stores and some shopping centers which are available 24 hours a day.
However, make sure you are aware of your surrounding the moment you are taking the money, as pickpockets are frequently around the ATMs waiting for their prey.
Our suggestion is that you should not take too much money with yourself while walking the streets of Hiroshima.
During your stay in Hiroshima, you must carry your passport at all times and do not get worried if the police ask you to show your identification.
Just be aware that there can be thieves dressed up like police officers who would try to arrest you or distract you so as to take your money and belongings.
In case something bad happens you which requires medical help you should dial 119 and ask for an ambulance.
An interesting thing about Japan is that disputes over bills in a restaurant can lead to arrest.
Another thing to know about this country is that Japan has a zero-tolerance towards drug crime and there are severe penalties.
How Does Hiroshima Compare?
|Belize City (Belize)||37|
- Visas - The authorities of Japan are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. Besides the valid passport, you can enter Japan as a tourist for up to 90 days without a visa.
- Currency - You should know that Japan is mainly a cash society and credit and debit cards are not accepted in many stores so it is suggested to exchange your money into the Japanese currency - the Yen.
- Weather - The climate of Hiroshima is temperate humid, characterized by mild winters and rainy summers. However, in summer there can be periods of good weather, with maximum temperatures around 35 °C.
- Airports - Going to Hiroshima by plane is possible via the New Hiroshima Airport which was opened in 1993 as a replacement for the old Hiroshima Airport. It is located 50 km away from Hiroshima.
- Travel Insurance - Staying healthy abroad is one of the greatest concerns of all travelers. Getting comprehensive travel insurance that will cover emergency medical expenses is of the greatest importance.
Hiroshima Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|