Israel : Safety by CityIsrael - safety as a country
Eilat is a famous Israel’s tourist destination being that this resort city is on the banks of the Red Sea, and a base for a vacation of sun and beach.
Another reason why this is such an attractive destination is the adventure and thrill which tourists can experience in Eilat, which is a great place for exploring.
No matter whether you are visiting for a few days or a few weeks, Eilat is a fantastic beach town to explore with plenty of activities in the city and out of it, as well.
Warnings & Dangers in Eilat
OVERALL RISK : HIGH
Generally speaking, tourists can feel trouble-free in Eilat and should enjoy their holiday, taking the least precocious.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Aggressive driving is commonplace, and there have been violent incidents on public transport and near public transport lines reported, but all in all, the danger of being attacked is almost the same as in any other place in the world.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : HIGH
In Eilat, there is a high risk of being pickpocketed, You are suggested to take care of your belongings, especially in the street and on the beach.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
There is a possibility of a flood, in case of great rainfall, and the heat can be so high, reaching 48 degrees Celsius.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Mugging is frequent on the beach, so never leave your possessions without keeping an eye on them.
TERRORISM RISK : HIGH
This is a country where terrorist attacks are frequent and they can be expected, even though they are happening in places other than Eilat.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
It can be said that the mugging risk here is quite low, and only taxi drivers are prone to charge more than it is the real price of the ride.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
When it comes to females, they can feel safe in Eilat as it is common for female travelers to visit the city alone. At the beach, Western-style dress is completely acceptable.
So... How Safe Is Eilat Really?
When people speak about Israel, they tend to say that this is not a safe destination for travel.
However, the destination that stands out of these beliefs is Eilat, which is a beach city considered a safe location.
Eilat’s crime rate is relatively low and tourists are safe to stay there.
There are some visitors who stay even after midnight on the streets of Eilat, without having to worry about their safety.
It is usual in Israel that local residents can react strongly to anyone dressed inappropriately and women should not wear trousers, but this is not the case in Eilat, where many tourists are seen dressed in the fashion styles from their own countries.
However, you are suggested to take normal safety precautions when traveling there as you would do in any other city.
In case you decide to visit the surrounding area, you have to be on guard as those are less traveled areas and crimes against tourists are on the rise.
A very high percentage of Israelis as well as the many tourists you will encounter that this is a city that should be visited and that there is no reason to worry about your safety.
- Visas - If you want to enter the country as a tourist, you will not need to provide a visa. However, you will have to pass a security check. If your plans are to stay for a longer period of time, you would need to apply for an extension at the local Ministry of Interior office.
- Currency - Israel's currency is called the ‘shekel'. Shekels are abbreviated as either ILS or NIS. Tourists are suggested to exchange money only in banks and licensed exchange offices.
- Weather - Due to the fact that this is a place in the desert, very high average temperatures can be expected, exceeding 40 degrees Celsius. Winters are mild with frequent rainfall.
- Airports - You can get to the Dead Sea by plane either landing on Queen Alia International Airport in Amman, Jordan or on Ben Gurion Airport in Israel.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance that you take out when traveling to Israel should not only cover medical problems, but also other unpredictable issues such as your luggage lost or missed flights.
Eilat Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|