Indiana : Safety by City
- Cedar Lake
- Crown Point
- Fort Wayne
- Michigan City
- Santa Claus
- South Bend
- Terre Haute
- Winona Lake
Two rivers and one carousel are the main starting points for any story about Logansport, Indiana.
Grab the brass ring and let’s explore this northern Indiana city.
Logansport is home to one of the original Dentzel Carousels and it’s still in operation.
Did you know the phrase “Grab the brass ring” came from carousels back in the carnival heyday?
Apparently, when you ride a carousel there are rings you can reach for without falling out of your seat.
That’s where the saying originates.
This is a small town of 18,000 people where the Eel and Wabash Rivers meet near the downtown.
There are trails along the river with fresh water stops.
The downtown area is in the process of being revitalized by a group called Logan’s Landing.
It is also a nationally recognized historical district.
You might have to explore outside of Logansport to find enough to fill your vacation time or just sit back and enjoy a slower pace of life.
There’s not a lot to do, but it’s not for lack of trying by the city.
It’s doing what it can, but even a restaurant called “Amelio’s on the River” isn’t exactly “on the river”.
It’s near the river.
There’s a local burger place called Mr. Happy that brings in the crowds even though it’s nestled between a McDonald’s and Burger King.
Warnings & Dangers in Logansport
OVERALL RISK : LOW
One of the benefits of visiting Logansport is a low crime rate, which can't be said for many small Indiana towns. Logansport has a low overall risk.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Cass Area Transit offers public bus routes, but it's more like a shuttle than a typical bus you'd see in bigger cities. The rides are free and on a set schedule. You might have trouble getting a taxi or rideshare here, so having your own car is a plus.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Some people might find crime data research boring, but I find it exciting for reasons just like this one. Logansport has one of the lower theft rates in small Indiana towns I've researched, yet there were four purse snatchings in 2020. Some of the cities with high violent crime rates don't even have one pickpocket or purse snatching. I'd go forward with a medium-risk, knowing that even in a pandemic year, four people lost their purses and about $400 of valuable items or cash.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Having two rivers enveloping a downtown area is beautiful until it isn't. This region is prone to flooding caused by heavy rains or ice jams. I live in a place where ice jams happen and they are scary. It's bad enough when river water is flooding a neighborhood, but add in giant chunks of ice moving at the speed of a river? It can be even more destructive. You've also got tornados, severe thunderstorms, hail storms, winter storms, and ice storms to worry about here, so it's a medium risk all around.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Another "crime data nerd" moment, if you will. The city had four purse snatches, but not a single robbery in 2020. No public robberies, store robberies, bank robberies, etc. So, that's as low of a risk as you can get!
TERRORISM RISK : LOW
I doubt any terrorist with any intelligence could even find Logansport on a map. You should feel safe with a low risk here.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
The main scam reported recently was people trying to buy things for sale in online marketplaces and using fake identities and credit cards to make the purchase. There's nothing that should worry about tourists being scammed here, but never let your guard down.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women should visit here with few concerns and at low risk. There is some boutique shopping, coffee shops for chatting, and a yoga studio. There were three sexual assaults reported in 2020, so you should always use common sense safety steps, like not walking around at night by yourself.
TAP WATER RISK : LOW
Logansport Utilities proudly states that it had no violations in 2020 and has never had a violation in any water report. You can feel safe there's low risk when using tap water.
Safest Places to Visit in Logansport
Take your time wandering around the downtown area and visiting some of the locally-owned restaurants and stores.
There are numerous art murals throughout Logansport that were just installed in 2020.
This is part of the Cass County Pop-Up Art & History Trail.
The LoLa Arts & Design District is right where the two rivers meet.
The Cass County Historical Museum is in Logansport, but if you don’t know what you’re looking for, you might miss it because it looks like a stately historic home.
There are 20 rooms to explore here with artifacts dating back to the early 1800s.
The Cole Clothing Museum is a showcase of fashion from generations gone by.
You can see some of the most stylish shoes, dresses, and hats, all wrapped up in a Victorian-style home.
You can even reach out and schedule a fashion show if you’re traveling with a group.
The carousel is a must-see for any tourist, but it only operates during the summer season.
Rides are $1.
Don’t forget to “grab the brass ring!”
There’s also a miniature train ride here and it’s located at Riverside Park, where you can go for a hike or play some corn hole.
About 10 miles from Logansport, you can visit the Crooked Creek Horseback Riding facility.
They even offer moonlit rides at night.
This option is open throughout the year, so you’ll never miss a chance to go for a ride.
France Park is just outside the city limits and has hiking trails, a waterfall, cliffs, fishing, camping, and scuba diving.
Be sure to bring a compass here, because not all of the hiking trails are marked and it’s easy to get lost.
Placess to Avoid in Logansport
The west side of Logansport, across the Eel River from downtown, has the highest crime rates.
However, in a city with just seven violent crimes in a year, there’s really not a bad part of town.
It’s always smart to stay on the main streets and avoid cutting through neighborhoods, however.
Many people don’t realize how rocky this area of Indiana can be, and you might be scratching your head at the “cliffs” comment above.
This is an area with a lot of rocky soil, caverns, and cliffs steep enough to injure someone if they slip off.
You will need waterproof and sturdy hiking boots here.
Be sure to break them in before you come.
As an avid hiker, I’ve made the mistake before of wearing my brand new boots up a mountain and I paid for it dearly with blisters from toe to heel.
Safety Tips for Traveling to Logansport
- The Logansport Police Department asks all residents and visitors to follow them on Facebook to get the most updated information. They don’t always put news releases on the website, but you can always find them on Facebook.
- If you have information about a crime in Logansport or Cass County, you can call the Crime Stoppers hotline to report it and be eligible for a cash reward. That number is 1-800-222-8477.
- You can request a log of all criminal activity from the police department, but it’s going to cost you 25 cents per day. You just have to email the police department to coordinate payment.
- Logansport is a bicyclist-friendly town and there are bicycle lanes on the main roads. Use these lanes and stay off the sidewalk. When riding a bicycle, you are expected to obey all street laws as if you were driving a vehicle.
- This is a diverse city with nearly 30% of the population being Hispanic/Latino. There is a Facebook page for the Logansport Cultural Diversity Committee with diverse and inclusive events happening in the region. The most recent was a “Selena Night” at a popular local bar.
- You should check the schedule of the carousel before you go visit because it is sometimes reserved for private events and visitors won’t be allowed in. You can also schedule your own private event if you’d like.
- You’ll need a fishing license for all the rivers and lakes in Indiana, and your license from home won’t suffice. You can get a non-resident license through the Indiana Department of Fish & Wildlife.
- While scuba diving is allowed at France Park, you do need to sign a waiver and show proof of certification before you can go. The Indy Dive Center has all the details on its website to make the process easy. Underwater you’ll see boats, airplanes, and even a school bus.
- Don’t go hiking alone in the wilderness areas outside of the city if you aren’t good at direction. Since some of the trails aren’t marked and can be slippery after rain or snow melt, you might get hurt or stuck and have no way to explain where you are. Bringing a hiking buddy is always preferred.
- You should shower immediately after swimming in any natural body of water because of the bacteria and algae that might be in the water. Be sure to wash your hair and do a full-body scan for ticks too.
So... How Safe Is Logansport Really?
Logansport is a small town with a small-town crime.
It hasn’t been immune to gun violence, with two homicides in 2020, but it’s also not overwhelmed by the gun and drug activity you’ll find in some other nearby cities.
Here’s the raw data from 2020:
- Violent Crime: 7
- Homicide: 2
- Sexual Assault: 3
- Aggravated Assault: 2
- Robbery: 0
- Theft: 254
Not a single violent crime was against a stranger in 2020.
Major contributors to the theft rate were shoplifting and auto break-ins.
You should feel safe visiting here and use all the same safety precautions you would in any town.
Also, remember to keep a close eye on your purse.
How Does Logansport Compare?
|La Paz (Bolivia)||52|
|Sao Paulo (Brazil)||45|
|Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)||43|
- Visas - You'll need up to four months to get a U.S. Visa approved, so start early. Once you've been approved at Customs to enter the country, you won't need to show your Visa until your return trip.
- Currency - You can only use the U.S. Dollar here. There are a handful of restaurants that are cash-only, but for the most part, you can use a credit card or mobile app for payment.
- Weather - You need to bring season-appropriate attire, realizing the winters can be bitterly cold and the summers can get very hot and humid. In between those seasons, dress in layers because Midwest weather can change a lot in 12 hours.
- Airports - Logansport is about 90 minutes from both Indianapolis International Airport and Fort Wayne International Airport. Indianapolis is a bigger airport, but Fort Wayne is just a little bit closer.
- Travel Insurance - It's a great idea to get travel insurance in a place where any weather system in the Midwest can cause a ripple effect of travel delays.
Logansport Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|