Sulaimaniya is a city in Iraqi Kurdistan.
One of the major cities in both the so-called Kurdistan region and Iraq, situated 385 Km north Baghdad.
The city sits between two chains of mountains.
The city was founded by Ibrahim Pasha in the year 1784.
Today Sulaimani has developed in most modern life aspects, hotels, motels, supermarkets & Malls, theaters, restaurants & Parks.
Travelers can visit here.
Amna Suraka (Red Security): the museum, housed in one of Saddam’s old torture facilities known as Amna Suraka.
Great Mosque, in the middle of the bazaar district, is Sulaimaniya’s great mosque.
Warnings & Dangers in Sulaymaniyah
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Sulaymaniyah is a reasonably safe city, especially compared to other cities in Iraq. It is also one of the safest cities in Kurdistan. If you travel in the summer, you should take care of sun protection and drink plenty of water. It is hot enough in the summer. You should also be careful about traffic.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : MEDIUM
To get around Sulaymaniyah, it is better to use a taxi or hire a driver. Traffic is very chaotic, and drivers do not follow traffic rules. Use only licensed taxi services.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : LOW
There are not many pickpockets in the city, and you are unlikely to encounter them. However, you should always follow your things and do not leave them unattended. In crowds and bazaars, be especially vigilant with pickpockets.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : LOW
There is a risk of earthquakes, floods, and droughts in the region, resulting in high summer temperatures. However, the risk of these disasters is low. The most significant inconvenience brings high temperatures in the summer and sandstorms.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Armed robberies and attacks on people are not common in this city. In any case, the usual safety measures and common sense should be observed in Sulaymaniyah. At night, monitor your surroundings and avoid disadvantaged areas.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
Terrorism in the region is extensive, especially from Daesh, who are responsible for most terrorism in Iraq. The likelihood of attacks is higher during Muslim services and in the mosque area. Remain vigilant at all times. It’s a good idea to have a militarized guard while traveling.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
Fraud is not shared. Unless sometimes you can be deceived with the price of a taxi or offer inflated prices for souvenirs and trinkets. Especially if you see a tourist in you, use only licensed taxi services and be careful with your surroundings.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Women are free to travel around Sulaymaniyah but do not forget about the usual safety measures. It is better not to walk unaccompanied at night. Also, do not attract too much attention. Wear modest clothes.
So... How Safe Is Sulaymaniyah Really?
Sulaymaniyah is considered a reasonably safe city in Iraq.
Located far from hostilities and surrounded by mountains, the city has a lower crime rate and a higher level of security for the movement of tourists.
We can say that traveling in this city is quite safe even at night.
Minor problems here are connected only with corruption and bribery, and even then, they are very insignificant.
Of course, it is essential to stay up to date with the developments of the region, but the city itself is very safe.
People are amiable, and there are police and soldiers everywhere.
The only things you would need to watch out for are drivers and traffic.
Drivers here rarely follow the rules of the road.
Movement is usually chaotic and unsafe.
If you move on your car – you should be extremely careful.
It is better to use a taxi or hire a local driver.
However, due to the economic crises in the region, protests do happen in front of government buildings, so that sometimes blocks traffic on the main roads. Still, the police do an excellent job of cordoning off those sections.
Otherwise, there have not been any significant issues.
If you are in the city during protests, it would be good to avoid those if you don’t have to be around them.
How Does Sulaymaniyah Compare?
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - By the Iraqi law, citizens of all countries require a visa to visit Iraq. Visitors from certain countries are given a visa on arrival in select airports, and individual states are banned from entering Iraq. Nationals of Israel are forbidden from visiting Iraq in general. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The Iraqi dinar is the currency of Iraq. It is issued by the Central Bank of Iraq and is subdivided into 1,000 fils. It has code: IQD. ATMs exist throughout the city and are mostly located outside of banks.
- Weather - The best time to visit Sulaymaniyah in Iraq is from April to June and October to November. In that time you will have a pleasant till very hot temperature and limited rainfall.
- Airports - Sulaimaniyah International Airport is an airport 15 kilometers outside the city of Sulaimaniyah, in Kurdistan Region. The airport has facilities for both cargo and passengers. Sulaimaniyah International Airport has three terminals; for departures, arrivals and VIPs.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Sulaymaniyah Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|