Ad Dammam is the capital of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia.
Here located the judicial and administrative bodies of the province, plus several government departments.
Ad Dammam is the largest city in the Eastern Province and the sixth-largest in Saudi.
Beautiful sightseeing travelers could see are: Dammam Corniche is basically a green park facing the gulf; Al Morjan island is a small artificial island with a monument in the center, it is located as an extension to the Corniche; Flagpole – is the tallest flagpole in the kingdom.
Here you can take a picture next to the 60-meter-high flagpole.
Warnings & Dangers in Ad Dammam
OVERALL RISK : MEDIUM
Ad Dammam is mainly safe but you should respect local rules. Disrespecting their moral codes will be followed by severe punishments.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
Public transport is not good enough. Taxis and "dubbabs" dominate the market, and are usually used by the lower scale foreign workers.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
Pickpockets are especially active during pilgrimages and in touristic places. Avoid wear on yourself too much jewelry and keep your money in a hidden place, not easily accessible by pickpockets.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Sandstorms and thunderstorms are very common here. You also should be aware of high temperatures in the summer months. It is a strong recommendation to have a bottle of water with you every time.
MUGGING RISK : MEDIUM
Usually, robbery and kidnapping are not common in the region, however, on the outskirts of the city and especially if you are a woman you need to be careful.
TERRORISM RISK : HIGH
This region not very safe of terrorism due to the proximity of ISIL/Daesh. Terrorists are very likely to carry out attacks in Ad Dammam. Remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
There is practically no fraud, but be careful with credit cards at ATM, there is a slight chance of scam.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : MEDIUM
Women traveling to Ad Dammam should be very cautioned, wear an abaya at all times or very modest clothes, that is cover all the body. Not recommended being alone in most places.
So... How Safe Is Ad Dammam Really?
Saudi Arabia was one of the most closed countries for foreigners in the world.
Now the country opens for travelers.
But you should know:
Many of the Saudis in Ad Dammam do not like foreigners, especially Westerners.
So, in order to avoid conflict, present yourself in a good way.
If you rent a car and drive here – always be respectful of other drivers.
You should also be aware of what you talk about around locals.
There are many taboo issues, so do not talk about liquor, drugs, or sex, even to fellow tourists.
Also, do not talk about your wives or daughters.
Women are not viewed highly in the culture, so, you shouldn’t talk about women here.
And, of course, try to avoid engaging in political conversations, religious conversations, or any criticism of the Saudi culture.
Always try to be diplomatic about what you discuss.
It is dangerous to be critical of Saudi Arabia, especially when talking to locals in Ad Dammam.
Ad Dammam is a very strict city in a very strict country.
But you can still enjoy your time in Ad Dammam if you are polite and do not violate the cultural rules.
How Does Ad Dammam Compare?
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - On September 27, 2019, Saudi Arabia introduced an e-visa program, allowing people from 49 countries to visit, by applying for a visa ahead of their trip or on arrival. Single entry visa allows a full month stay, while multiple-entry visas allow staying for up to three months. A valid passport is a must.
- Currency - The Saudi riyal is the currency of Saudi Arabia. It is abbreviated SAR (Saudi Arabian Riyal). It is subdivided into 100 halalas.
- Weather - The best times to visit Saudi Arabia for ideal weather are from mid-November till April. In Ad Dammam, The average temperatures vary drastically. The weather feels hot for about half of the year and otherwise nice with a very low chance of precipitation throughout the year.
- Airports - King Fahd International Airport is an airport in Ad Dammam, located 20 km from the city. The airport is the third major hub for Saudia.
- Travel Insurance - The travel insurance policy is a must when visiting a foreign country. Make sure you got it before starting your journey, the customs officer may ask for it.
Ad Dammam Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|