Missouri : Safety by City
- Blue Springs
- Cape Girardeau
- Creve Coeur
- Jefferson City
- Kansas City
- Lee’s Summit
- Maryland Heights
- New Madrid
- Poplar Bluff
- St. Charles
- St. Joseph
- St. Louis
- Ste. Genevieve
Mehlville, Missouri, is part of South County in the St. Louis metro area.
It is right on the edge of where the suburbs give way to a more urban landscape.
This is primarily a residential neighborhood but with enough nearby attractions to make South County a serious contender for great places to stay in St. Louis.
You’re far from the surging crime rates of the city but close enough that you don’t feel like you’re in the cookie-cutter suburbs.
The Mississippi River lines the eastern edge of South County, with Illinois on the other side.
The Missouri side is much more robust with a major shopping mall, historic parks, and easy access to some of the top St. Louis City attractions like the Anheuser Busch brewery.
If you’re choosing between North County and South County, South County should win.
North County has much higher crime rates.
West County would be the safest choice, but it’s also more upscale and has less authenticity than in places like South County.
Warnings & Dangers in Mehlville
OVERALL RISK : LOW
There's a low overall risk here with an elevated theft risk that should be taken into consideration. The close access to popular venues and attractions makes it safe, too, since you won't be driving around hoping to find something to do.
TRANSPORT & TAXIS RISK : LOW
The Metro Transit system in St. Louis has bus routes that reach South County, and several go through Mehlville. Taxis and rideshares will be easy to call, and rental cars are widely available.
PICKPOCKETS RISK : MEDIUM
This is a medium risk as there are a lot of shopping areas and parking lots here where thieves are known to wait for a crime of opportunity. You can't afford to stop paying attention to your surroundings or get lost in your headphones.
NATURAL DISASTERS RISK : MEDIUM
Another medium risk here is due to severe weather and tornado threats that ramp up in spring. Flooding, extreme temperatures, and winter weather round out the threats. The St. Louis County Emergency Management Department has a great website with silos of information for each threat.
MUGGING RISK : LOW
Robberies are at the national average, which gives them an average risk. The positive side of the data shows most of those are against businesses, like bank robberies or department store robberies. While it's an overall low risk, use extra caution around South County Mall and never try to be a hero or fight back if you are there when a robbery happens or confronted by a robber.
TERRORISM RISK : MEDIUM
We give any part of a major metro area a medium risk to encourage visitors to pay attention. The "See Something, Say Something" mantra goes a long way to preventing larger-scale issues. There have been some school threats here, but those won't impact a visitor.
SCAMS RISK : LOW
You might get approached at gas stations or see homeless people begging for money, especially around the mall. The larger concern is protecting your personal information. You can keep your risk low if you keep your receipts, report any missing cards immediately, and set spending limits with your bank before you travel.
WOMEN TRAVELERS RISK : LOW
Women have the same low risk but could also be a bigger target due to their purses, which have become targets of gas station thieves. If you can ditch the purse and just carry a concealed wallet, you feel a lot safer. I would also recommend avoiding Walmart here and visiting Target instead, as Walmart is one of the top locations for police calls in South County.
TAP WATER RISK : LOW
The 2021 Water Quality Report from St. Louis shows full compliance and no violations for 117 years running! That report won't include routine issues like water main breaks that could lead to boil orders, so stick with the city's social media sites for those updates.
Safest Places to Visit in Mehlville
South County doesn’t have its own tourism website, but you can use the Explore St. Louis site to see all the options nearby.
The Missouri Civil War Museum preserves Missouri’s role in the American Civil War.
The museum features a collection of over 1,500 artifacts related to the war, including weapons, uniforms, and personal items.
It also offers exhibits and educational programs to help visitors better understand the impact of the Civil War on Missouri and the nation as a whole.
Jefferson Barracks Park is a large 426-acre park offering a variety of recreational activities, including hiking and biking trails, fishing lakes, picnic areas, and playgrounds.
The park is also home to the Jefferson Barracks Historic Site, which features several historic buildings and a museum dedicated to military history.
Cliff Cave Park covers 525 acres and is named after the impressive cliff formations that can be found in the area.
It offers visitors a range of outdoor activities, including hiking and biking trails, picnic areas, and fishing opportunities in the Mississippi River.
South County Center features over 100 stores and restaurants, including anchor stores like JCPenney, Macy’s, and Dillard’s.
Plenty of restaurants and strip malls line this part of town, too.
River City Casino is in nearby Lemay.
It features over 2,000 slot machines, more than 50 table games, several dining options, and a variety of entertainment and event spaces.
Suson Farm is a working farm and park where visitors can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, including fishing, hiking, picnicking, and visiting with farm animals.
Check the website for local events, especially if you’re traveling with kids.
Places to Avoid in Mehlville
The closer you get to the city, the higher the risk will be, but there aren’t any neighborhoods I would tell you to avoid in Mehlville.
It’s also not a place where you’ll love driving through the neighborhoods to see the homes.
This is a middle-class area with some working-class neighborhoods.
Looking at the crime maps, the crime rates go down the further south you are of I-270.
Traffic in this area can be thick, and you also have to look out for people crossing the busy streets outside an intersection.
Be wary of aggressive drivers, and don’t engage in road rage.
Police released information in early 2023 that the places with the highest calls for service in South County are South County Mall, River City Casino, and Walmart.
Safety Tips for Traveling to Mehlville
- The St. Louis County Police Department South County Precinct is brand new in 2023 and is located at 323 Sappington Road. The phone number is (314)615-0162, and the email is email@example.com.
- The South County Precinct also has its own Facebook page @StlCountyPDSouth. If you prefer Twitter, that’s @stlcountypd.
- The police department also does monthly Captain Reports with safety advice and crime trends. In February 2023, the South County Captain did an update on crime trends. It’s a great resource for any visitor to St. Louis.
- There’s an eye-opening video on the police department’s Facebook page that shows how quickly a theft can occur while pumping gas. Thieves look for women who are at the pump and then sneak to the other side of the car to try the door handle and snatch a purse. Always lock your car while pumping gas, and don’t leave personal items inside. Carry your purse and mobile phone with you to the pump.
- To get ahead of car theft, the South County precinct wants to remind drivers that a car with a key fob can still be driven if it’s turned on and left unattended, as too many people do to let the car warm up. The only time the key fob becomes essential is when the thief eventually turns off the car and then can’t start it again.
- If you’ll be using Metro during your visit, download the Transit app to get maps, pay for tickets, and track your bus in real time.
- MoDOT offers an app and website to track traffic troubles across the state, with an option to create an account and set alerts. Since this area is prone to high traffic volume, it’s always smart to check the traffic before you head out.
- Don’t swim or wade in the Mississippi River. It’s filled with debris, faster than it looks, and polluted. If you are looking for a safe water adventure, check out activities on the nearby Meramec River.
- Anglers need a fishing license from the Missouri Department of Conservation. Be sure you get a nonresident license and carry it with you at all times you’re fishing.
- Most of the television stations here have a free weather app that won’t also include news headlines, offering direct access to emergency threats as they come. You can’t afford to miss forecast updates here. If you ever need assistance with weather emergencies, like a storm shelter, call 211.
So... How Safe Is Mehlville Really?
Since Mehlville is under the St. Louis County jurisdiction, and the precinct here covers all of South County, we’re going to take a broader look at the crime rates.
That’s also helpful since you’ll likely venture outside Mehlville during your visit.
Since South County is more of a hyperbolic place, we don’t have an exact population, which is how we determine crime rates.
What I’ve done is take the main cities or census-designated places and added those populations together to get a more specific look at crime.
Keep in mind this data is an estimate, not an official report.
I’ve used the crime mapping technology from 2022 to get this information.
- Violent Crime: 5% higher than the national average
- Robbery: At the national average
- Larceny/Theft: Twice the national average
- Homicide: Far below the national average, with just one in 2022
South County saw an average of three vehicle thefts a day, mirroring a trend in West County.
Too many of the stolen cars here are related to people leaving a car running, unlocked, or with the keys inside.
A little attention to detail can save you a big headache.
About 16 drug crimes a week were reported on average.
Vandalism reports topped 1,100.
As someone who spent a lot of time in South County and still has family there, I can tell you it’s not a dangerous community.
However, I wouldn’t so much as leave my car unlocked at a gas station to run inside and grab a drink.
Common sense and situational awareness go a long way in South County.
How Does Mehlville Compare?
|Siem Reap (Cambodia)||63|
|Phnom Penh (Cambodia)||61|
|Niagara Falls (Canada)||87|
|Buenos Aires (Argentina)||60|
- Visas - International travelers won't be able to enter the country without a valid passport that isn't within six months of expiring AND a visa or visa waiver. Tourism visas can take a few months, so start planning early.
- Currency - There are no currency exceptions in America - you have to use the U.S. Dollar in currency or on credit card purchases. Use your home bank to get the lowest fees for currency exchange. Local banks will most likely buy back unused currency for a small fee.
- Weather - You'll need to pack plenty of options much of the year since the weather here changes so much. Spring can bring snow one day and give you a sunburn the next. Fall can have summer-like temperatures or dip below freezing. Winters will be cold, and you'll need a coat. Summers will be hot and incredibly uncomfortable when the humidity is at its peak.
- Airports - St. Louis Lambert International Airport is 30 minutes from Mehlville, but the interstate to get there is prone to traffic. I'd plan for an hour either way unless you're arriving very early or late. New in 2022, the airport added an international route to Frankfurt, Germany.
- Travel Insurance - Travel insurance just makes sense when this region is so prone to severe weather or winter weather.
Mehlville Weather Averages (Temperatures)
Average High/Low Temperature
|Temperature / Month||Jan||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec|
Missouri - Safety by City